Freud Dial-a-Width Dado stack for 520

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thompson3
Bronze Member

Freud Dial-a-Width Dado stack for 520

Post by thompson3 »

I'm considering buying a Freud SD 606 Dial-a-Width Stacked Dado set for my 520. Anybody currently using this set with their machine and what results are you getting?
Chad
Platinum Member

Re: Freud Dial-a-Width Dado stack for 520

Post by Chad »

I haven't used that dado set yet. Unlike traditional dial-a-width dado sets (Sears Craftsman made thousands of them over the years); with the added chipper(s) in between the left and right angled blades, would give you the flat bottom. There would be some time involved with setup, like any other stacked dado set; being that you would have to add, or remove chipper(s) if there was a drastic change to the width beyond the dial adjustment limits, from the previous setup. OTOH with the micro adjustments made with the dial, versus having the add, or remove shims; should be a real time saver. It appears to be a solid system.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I hadn't seen that blade before you mentioned it so I had to look it up. I like the idea, and I have like Freud blades in the past so I feel it would preform pretty well.

I have a couple of sets of dado blades, I have found that I can pretty much get the width down to what I want before mounting and it is rare that I find I must play with it after setting. And on a shopsmith, unlike other saws you can just pull the table away and have clear access to the blade, or simply pull the blade and arbor off and do it that way.

I personally like the Infinity Dadonator blades:

https://www.infinitytools.com/dadonator ... h-5-8-bore

I'd also think about if a 6" set is going to fit your needs in the future. I have both and I have found that sometimes I have needed the 8" size. If I had only one size I would go with the 8". You will also have to make your own ZCI for the larger/deeper cuts but at least you can make them.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well the original poster has started a legitimate discussion in spite of the second post being intended to be spam. That does not happen often! :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Looks like the OP asked 13-1/2 years ago and has not posted since! He/she may not benefit from the response. :D I will though, I've wondered specifically about the 6 V 8 inch question. At some point I'd like to upgrade to carbide and want to only choose once.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So other than smaller radius in a blind dado, what can a 6" do than an 8" cannot do?

Other than that, the decision comes down to $.

FWIW I have an 8". (not this brand/style).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Eh, it's never too late to respond to anyone's post. Be that they are still among us, or not.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There are reasons that I have found to have the larger blade. The depth of cut, I don't recall what the numbers are for the shopsmith off hand but you do get an extra inch with the larger blade. Seems to me that is in the area of 2-1/4"?? for an 8" and 1-1/4"?? for a 6".

But the main reason was when using a sled of some sorts when cutting. The sled uses up cut depth so keep that in mind. If say the 6" blade has a cutting depth of 1-1/4 when using the table and then you go to a sled that is 3/4" thick then you are down to a 1/2". That is pretty shallow for some jobs.

Yes you do pay a bit more for the larger blade but if you find you need it then it becomes pretty much a none issue cost wise.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Spam: The post by john1nicholson1 contains an irrelevant link in fine print, lower right corner. (Reported)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

DLB wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:00 am Spam: The post by john1nicholson1 contains an irrelevant link in fine print, lower right corner. (Reported)
Good eye!!!

And I see that it's still an active link in Dusty's quote of the spam post.