Shopsmith on Quora

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

davebodner
Gold Member

Shopsmith on Quora

Post by davebodner »

https://www.quora.com/Have-you-ever-bou ... Bazzinotti

His answer was a bit too negative reflecting lack of knowledge. I provided my 2 cents.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith on Quora

Post by edma194 »

I hate this nonsense. I have seen plenty of workshops outfitted with individual machines, and most of those machines do not equal one function of a Shopsmith. Over and over I see smaller disk sanders and belt sanders, without variable speed or the table features of a Shopsmith. I don't see horizontal boring machines at all outside of large commercial shops. I see a lot of cheap drill presses too, if you're going to brag about how your multiple machines are better than a Shopsmith you ought to buy a decent drill press.

Yeah, I want individual machines also, but they'll all be Shopsmiths.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Here here, edma194. My thoughts exactly.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Consider it the nattering of a dolt.

He obviously does not know how to align it properly.

I doubt he has a manual and definitely has not read it if he does.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Many many years ago when our kids were small I used to preach to them that "if you want to operate a door properly you have to be smarter than the door"... :D

Also see my sig line below about Shopsmith set-ups.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill