Run Bandsaw and Joiner Together

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

keddykat
Silver Member

Run Bandsaw and Joiner Together

Post by keddykat »

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I can use my joiner and bandsaw at the same time.
Could I remove the main table and mount a drive hub on the opposite side of the headstock to run the bandsaw? The upper drive hub and the "saw side" are at almost the same level, am I missing something that would make this system not work? I just got a table saw so I am not going to need the main table function and I would love to keep the bandsaw and joiner both set up.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Run Bandsaw and Joiner Together

Post by chapmanruss »

keddykat,

Hello from across the river. LO

There are several problems with that idea. First they run at different speeds so running the Jointer at the Bandsaw speed would not produce very good results. Running the Bandsaw at the Jointer speeds could be dangerous. Running the Bandsaw off the Quill instead of the Aux. shaft on the back of the Headstock will have the Bandsaw running in reverse. Both SPT need to be mounted using the same spot to run the correct direction unless you have a reverse on the headstock like using a Power Pro DVR Headstock. The SPT's can only mount in the headrest or base ends of the Shopsmith. With a reversing headstock you could mount one on either end and slide the headstock between them. Using the reverse and only having one tool actually connected to the headstock at a time would make change overs quicker. They cannot mount on the table carriage without modifications and that would get in the way of using the table on it.

One option would be to get a Power Station to set up your Bandsaw on and keep the jointer on the Mark V and only connect the Jointer when you need to power it. Another option is a second Mark V.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
keddykat
Silver Member

Post by keddykat »

Thanks for the answer, that's what I was afraid of, that the directional change would be an issue.i didnt want to run them at the same time, just wanted to not have to switch them every time I wanted to use the other. I wonder if getting a power station for the bandsaw would be cheaper than just getting another bandsaw completley? I dont have room for a second unit, plus I think my husband would have words with me if I got another Shopsmith hahaha.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

keddykat wrote:Thanks for the answer, that's what I was afraid of, that the directional change would be an issue.i didnt want to run them at the same time, just wanted to not have to switch them every time I wanted to use the other. I wonder if getting a power station for the bandsaw would be cheaper than just getting another bandsaw completley? I dont have room for a second unit, plus I think my husband would have words with me if I got another Shopsmith hahaha.
A power station is a good option. The advantage is that you can run other SPT's on it besides the band saw.

The other option is a SS Power Stand. These are dedicated stands and if you can find one it should be much cheaper than a Power Station. They are designed to be dedicated to one tool. They all have different part numbers depending on the SPT that mounts on them. Other than the planer stand they are all the same. The only difference was the two pulley sizes for the SPT. so if you find one on eBay it doesn't matter what the seller says it is for. You just have to get the correct pulleys for the band saw.

The Power Station shows up on eBay probably more often than a Power Stand.
Attachments
SSPowerStand.jpg
SSPowerStand.jpg (9.71 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Or...you could find a used shopsmith and an electrician who can wire the motor with a switch to put the motor in forward or reverse. Then you could mount both SPTs on it. That is exactly what I did. The Shopsmith I have them mounted on is a mini, which works great since my shop is small. This arrangement is also a good way to store both of those SPTs, which is another advantage for those of us with limited shop space. I just leave them mounted on the mini and roll it out into the center of my shop to use. In my opinion, putting these two tools on one stand is a really good idea. You might also just find someone to wire up the Shopsmith you already have with a reversing switch, but if you think you can talk your husband into it, it is really nice to have a second machine with the bandsaw and jointer mounted permanently on it.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BEWARE!!!

If the motor is an EMERSON, then reversing is likely impossible. The internal splice one needs access to(so as to re wire) is buried under layer(s) of winding wires.

I doubt an electrician would be one to do this. A motor shop more likely.

FWIW a 3/4 hp motor is more suited for this since to drive SPT's does not require all that extra hp needed for sawing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you decide to go with the Power Station option they do come up for sale once in a while. I bought both of mine used off craigslist here. The first was in 2014 in Beaverton and I paid $225 which included a Scroll Saw. The second was in 2016 in Portland and I paid $130 which also included a Scroll Saw. I couldn't pass up the second ones at that price. I sold the extra scroll saw which almost paid for the 2nd Power Station. A little cleanup and I now have two really good Power Stations. Finding them locally will save a lot by not having to pay shipping.

Another option mentioned is a second Mark V made into a shorty. It will save space over a full Mark V, provide space to store two SPT's and power them. You can make it with or with out the carriage and as short as just the headstock with a little space to move the headstock on the way tubes to put the coupler in place. Since you have a Mark V you don't have to worry about losing functions making a second one a shorty. Mark V candidates for that option come up more often than Power Stations and doubles your SPT storage.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
keddykat
Silver Member

Post by keddykat »

Yes there are couple shorties for sale right now, a little too high priced but I will keep my eyes open! I like that option because then you could set up the other side as a horizontal boring machine which would be very useful. It's a wait and keep checking game now :)
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Good points, jpg. Thanks for filling in the blanks I left in my post. In fact, I did swap out my original greenie motor for one that could be made to reverse before installing it on the mini frame. Important detail, for sure.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Don't just look for a shorty that is already made. Any Mark V can be turned into a shorty and you can choose how long to make the tubes to fit your needs. Also full Mark V's tend to be cheaper to buy since there are more of them to choose from. Good deals come up from time to time from people just wanting to get them out of their garage or where ever. A few years ago I bought a 1982 Mark V with a Bandsaw, Belt Sander and Strip Sander the seller wanted to simply get out of their way for $250. It cost me another $450 to get them back to like new condition with all the items they originally came with. You would not need to replace some items if missing or damaged for your intended purpose. I am using these examples (including my previous post) since it shows what I have found in our area.
Russ

Mark V 520