Today in the shop (raising my workbench height)

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop (raising my workbench height)

Post by reible »

Sometimes I wish my work bench was a little higher. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I wish I had a place to put the tools I'm working with and still leave the bench top with room to move things around, sometimes it doesn't matter.

OK so the project was to make use of some more of those mdf scraps I have and while I needed to buy the 2' x 4' top piece the rest was scrap.

I'm liking how it is working out so far. I think it will mostly stay in place but it is not physically attached I can clamp it in place if needed and I can just slide it off if I don't want it there.
bt1.jpg
bt1.jpg (161.19 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
bt2.jpg
bt2.jpg (136.13 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
Still working on finding places for everything that was on the bench before I started this project. About half done with that part.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop (raising my workbench height)

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I like it. Are there dog holes in the bench? If so, you could use dogs to keep it from moving around but it would be easy to remove. I have a couple of jigs that use dogs to hold them in place while in use and the dog hole allows the jigs to be hung up when not in use. I was going to glue dowels to the jigs as permanent dogs but it is easier store them with just the dog holes. I also have a couple that I run bolts through the dog holes to clamp the jig securely to the bench.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Removable workbench-adders are great. Good thinking!
I had posted one lately on my 'watch tinkering hobby'. It's a great asset based purely on scrapwood.

Chris
rsefczek
Bronze Member

Post by rsefczek »

7B37C353-FF48-474F-BB41-BBC9280B12B7.jpeg
7B37C353-FF48-474F-BB41-BBC9280B12B7.jpeg (108.9 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
I keep my workbench low for hand planing but I built this to raise work up for sawing dovetails or carving. Brings things to where my eyes can focus properly. Don’t enjoy getting old....