Recent adoptions - Joint-Matic and 10ER

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Recent adoptions - Joint-Matic and 10ER

Post by edma194 »

Picked up 10ER Serial #E 58528. Haven't done anything with it yet, it has to wait until I have a 500 shortie and my left knee working. It's in decent condition and there's a speed changer available I plan pick up before too long. . Since there's no specific purpose for this machine this one can be the one I try to do one of those beautiful showroom quality restorations you guys have done.
10ER nameplate.jpg
10ER nameplate.jpg (325.01 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Joint-Matic Serial #103190 is a real find. I've been needing a router table for a while and I really like the horizontal configuration. It came with the Bevel Miter Gauge, the Stop Rod kit, a couple of extra featherboard knobs, and a Rockwell router that's in good shape. Even the bit guard is in good shape (probably unused). There's no cracks in the slide but there is a little bit of side to side play so I'll have get the frame tightened up around it. I haven't had a router table set up for a while, last time was years ago and I already have some cedar slats tenoned for outer tables that I want to get finished up. I hope it works as well in use as it looks, with that bevel miter gauge and the jig that has plans in the manual I see a lot of potential to make joints I never would have attempted before.
Attachments
joint-matic1.jpg
joint-matic1.jpg (237.46 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
joint-matic2.jpg
joint-matic2.jpg (241.62 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Recent adoptions - Joint-Matic and 10ER

Post by JPG »

Fix This before thee gets too frisky!
ClipboardXX.jpg
ClipboardXX.jpg (6.04 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It's solid there. The lock mechanism and the adjuster nut are fine. There's discoloration of the plastic that might come clean, but nothing eaten away. I checked that before purchase based on other threads about the machine.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I look forward to more posts on your Model 10ER as you are able to work on it. At some point I may ask, when you are able, to provide more information about parts to compare with what I know about other Model 10's. In the mean time enjoy your new finds.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote:I look forward to more posts on your Model 10ER as you are able to work on it. At some point I may ask, when you are able, to provide more information about parts to compare with what I know about other Model 10's. In the mean time enjoy your new finds.
I had to get on my feet and do something today so I took a trip down to the basement to take a quick photo inventory. I'm not a great photographer but you can see what I have below and feel free to ask me about specific parts. I'll take better photos of anything you are interested in. There's a list of options by serial number somewhere that I confirmed a couple of the features from, I'll get it down with more detail eventally.

I see I didn't get much of a shot of the belt cover and tailstock but they are there and intact.
Attachments
10ER headstock LR.jpg
10ER headstock LR.jpg (364.07 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
10ER motor plate LR.jpg
10ER motor plate LR.jpg (332.1 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
10ER table and fence LR.jpg
10ER table and fence LR.jpg (206.19 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
10ER extension table LR.jpg
10ER extension table LR.jpg (80.58 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
10ER accessory 1 LR.jpg
10ER accessory 1 LR.jpg (244.55 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
10ER accessory 2 LR.jpg
10ER accessory 2 LR.jpg (234.02 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
10ER accessory 3 LR.jpg
10ER accessory 3 LR.jpg (282.07 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FYI https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-10E- ... SwIHVfUt~t

?? Why ya keep hiding the tail stock??? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

My plan was to ruin that one by welding it back together before I buy a replacement.
?? Why ya keep hiding the tail stock??? :D
I think it's just camera shy.
Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Interesting, a broken tailstock. I can't even imagine how someone would break one. Was it the third or fourth version? See the pictures of the versions below.
Version 3
Version 3
Tailstock C2342 V3 view 2 r.jpg (133.34 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
Version 4 - last version
Version 4 - last version
Tailstock D2342 V4 r.jpg (245.7 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
One item I did notice is the Blade Guard being the later version. In the picture below the bottom one is that late version.
Saw Guards with Splitters r.jpg
Saw Guards with Splitters r.jpg (151.14 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
I look forward to more comparisons. A couple of questions, does the fence have the block on the end of the lock knob or just the threaded end? Is there a hole in the headstock behind the Logo/Serial Number Plate?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote:Interesting, a broken tailstock. I can't even imagine how someone would break one. Was it the third or fourth version? See the pictures of the versions below.
You misunderstood, the tailstock is fine, just that crankarm in the picture with the saw blade is broken. I just never pulled up the tailstock for a good photo. I can't imagine breaking that thing either. I love how sturdy this guy is.
I look forward to more comparisons. A couple of questions, does the fence have the block on the end of the lock knob or just the threaded end? Is there a hole in the headstock behind the Logo/Serial Number Plate?
I'll look for these things and grab photos for you. Do you mean an access hole covered by the plate like regular headstocks?
Ed from Rhode Island

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIUC the hole is there to allow access to the area behind the power switch thus giving good access to the switch.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝