Shopsmith Router Lift?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Router Lift?

Post by DLB »

I saw this novel(?) use of the Router Arm on CL: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/tls/ ... 38417.html
SS Router Table.jpg
SS Router Table.jpg (28.74 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
SS Router Lift.jpg
SS Router Lift.jpg (32.97 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
SS Router Arm.jpg
SS Router Arm.jpg (21.95 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
- David
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Router Lift?

Post by algale »

That's interesting! I have the most recent (Shopsmith-mounted) version of the pin router set up which has the Shopsmith-mounted router arm. Without going to look at it, I think it would be a fairly simply matter to mount the router arm so that when the Shopsmith was raised vertical the router arm would be below the table for under-table routing using the arm as a lift. Remove the tie bar [edit] guard underneath the main table and it might work for under table routing with the Shopsmith shaper/router table insert. Sort of a poor man's Mark 7.
Last edited by algale on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

algale wrote:Remove the tie bar underneath the main table and it might work for under table routing with the Shopsmith shaper/router table insert. Sort of a poor man's Mark 7.
I love the idea, I think it would provide superior under table router capability. I have a nice router table setup with the other style arm but would occasionally like to leverage the 520 table system. So far have not found the Mark-mounted OAR parts at a price I can live with. But I gotta say the idea of removing the main table tie bar is not for the faint of heart.

- David
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

DLB wrote:
algale wrote:But I gotta say the idea of removing the main table tie bar is not for the faint of heart.

- David
Maybe I used the wrong term. I only meant to remove the tie bar guard that sits under my 520 table. See part # 155 on this diagram. https://www.shopsmith.com/service/mark/ ... iagram.htm

It is just held on with a couple of 5/32 cap head Allen screws. It is routinely removed when installing the table insert with dust elbow for the drum sander. It isn't a big deal to take off.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Sorry, I gotcha now. Seems like the open question would be clearance/interference between the OAR casting and the tie bar. The free-standing OAR that I have puts a lot of bulk around the router body, I don't think there's any way it would go that would not interfere with the tie bar. If you try this and it works out please let us know. I want one.

- David
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

DLB wrote:Sorry, I gotcha now. Seems like the open question would be clearance/interference between the OAR casting and the tie bar. The free-standing OAR that I have puts a lot of bulk around the router body, I don't think there's any way it would go that would not interfere with the tie bar. If you try this and it works out please let us know. I want one.

- David
If the Mark 7 can be used as an undertable router using the main table and the Shopsmith power head, I would think there would be enough space to try the Shopsmith-mounted pin-router arm. At some point, I will give this a try and report back.