phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

16 posts 1 2

Those all sound like valid reasons, :) Thanks all for clearing that up. :)

---

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Today in the shop (Auxiliary fence faces miter saw)

#273761 by rlkeeney » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:28 am

I have a 12 inch Hitachi miter saw. I make toys and cut many small parts on my miter saw. I use zero clearance for the fence and the table. It makes a big difference in my work, and I would not work without it.


Zero clearance keeps small pieces from flying all over the place, falling into the saw, or getting damaged. Zero clearance on the fence side prevents tear-out on the backside of the piece.


I use some hold down for most cuts, so the wood does not move. I do a scoring cut from back to front, then cut from front to back at full depth and let the blade come to a complete stop before raising it. I get very smooth cuts, nearly zero tear-out, no damaged parts, and if I do my part, the cuts are as square as I can get buy any method.


I use a Diablo 80 tooth fine finish blade.

---

--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
https://odinstoyfactory.etsy.com

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Today in the shop (Auxiliary fence faces miter saw)

#273763 by thunderbirdbat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:24 am

I really like the hold down capability.

20200614_100518_opt.jpg
20200614_100518_opt.jpg (106.71 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

---

Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Today in the shop (Auxiliary fence faces miter saw)

#273764 by rlkeeney » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:05 am

thunderbirdbat wrote:I really like the hold down capability.

20200614_100518_opt.jpg


I might have to make one of these.

Is this your design?

I'm guessing that the fenceis what you use to set your angles?

---

--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
https://odinstoyfactory.etsy.com

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Today in the shop (Auxiliary fence faces miter saw)

#273785 by thunderbirdbat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:44 pm

rlkeeney wrote:
thunderbirdbat wrote:I really like the hold down capability.

20200614_100518_opt.jpg


I might have to make one of these.

Is this your design?

I'm guessing that the fenceis what you use to set your angles?


I modified an existing plan (https://diycreators.com/3-in-one-diy-miter-saw-station/) to fit my saw/stand using left over oak plywood. I had a 4 ft section of track that gives me about a foot on each side of the blade for the hold down or the miter stop. I also used Matchfit dovetail fasteners for the length stop block.

---

Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Today in the shop (Auxiliary fence faces miter saw)

#273787 by rlkeeney » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:39 pm

thunderbirdbat wrote:
rlkeeney wrote:
thunderbirdbat wrote:I really like the hold down capability.

20200614_100518_opt.jpg


I might have to make one of these.

Is this your design?

I'm guessing that the fenceis what you use to set your angles?


I modified an existing plan (https://diycreators.com/3-in-one-diy-miter-saw-station/) to fit my saw/stand using left over oak plywood. I had a 4 ft section of track that gives me about a foot on each side of the blade for the hold down or the miter stop. I also used Matchfit dovetail fasteners for the length stop block.


Thanks, this is going on my todo list.

---

--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
https://odinstoyfactory.etsy.com

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 116 guests

Board indexDelete all board cookies

Welcome to Shopsmith. Please fill in this form and we'll send you more information and special offers for the Shopsmith MARK 7 and other woodworking topics.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required