Looking for advice on cutting thin plastic tubes

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Looking for advice on cutting thin plastic tubes

Post by reible »

If you even purchased the 2' lengths of t-track from Rockler you will know the tubing I'm trying to cut.
ttt.jpg
ttt.jpg (142.89 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
I've tried with a thin hand saw and with the miter saw both have been less then wonderful.

In the end I want a couple of "viewtainer" sort of containers that are 10" long. I can do a couple more test cuts before I have to get the money cut.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
sehast
Gold Member

Re: Looking for advice on cutting thin plastic tubes

Post by sehast »

I don't have any good advice for you. Last time I tried using the bandsaw and then a table router but got similar results as you. But the router was probably better, just not great.
number3456
Gold Member

Post by number3456 »

Would a bandsaw with a fine blade make a nicer cut?
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system.
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

I would insert a wood dowel the diameter of the tube and then cut it. It would need to be a tight fit.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’m leaning toward the dowel plug idea myself, but with a twist.

First cut the tube(s) to rough length with a saw. Chuck up an oversized dowel (or block) in lathe mode, and turn a slightly-tapered tenon to fit inside the tube. Mount the tube “between centers” and dress the rough cut with a parting tool, right on top of the tenon. The tenon is semi-sacrificial, but it should be good for several cuts.

If you turn a groove in the tenon at the part-off line, you could even sand/polish the cut end of the tube.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Hot knife.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

Insert a dowel into the plastic tube so as to maintain its dimension, and then use a nice, sharp tubing cutter to "slice" the plastic instead of trying to cut it.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I think your lathe approach would probably work too, but would be more work.
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

I would try the dowel inside then mounted in chuck and while turning I would use a utility knife to do the cutting. If I would use the bandsaw I would use dowel inside with tape around the plastic to then make the cut, if necessary then sanding disc to smooth edge.
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

I wonder if a wooden dowel inserted in the plastic as has been suggested along with a pipe cutter would give you a clean cut.
Attachments
79EE6DA5-F82B-477E-BEBF-3E3D9A0CE227.jpeg
79EE6DA5-F82B-477E-BEBF-3E3D9A0CE227.jpeg (223.23 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have been thinking about this since I read the post yesterday. My suggestion would be to use an X-Acto saw blade. They have very fine teeth for doing delicate work.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.