Turning

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hfmann
Gold Member

Turning

Post by hfmann »

Newish to turning - with visions of greatness and delusions of grandeur, I'm wondering .....

What's the largest bowl you've turned on your Shopsmith? And how did you mount it on the machine? If Faceplate? What size plate and kind of screws or other methods of attaching. And finally, did you use the standard tool rest or the Universal?

Any other pertinent info would be interesting.

I'm using the PowerPro headstock, so especially interested in those who turn with that.

Much thanks,

hal
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Turning

Post by wa2crk »

The largest bowl I have turned on the SS is 12 inches. I held it with a One Way Talon chuck. I have not used faceplates because I think the large mounting blocks use too much wood and I am afraid that I will hit the screws.
A good site for beginning turners is http://www.woodturner.org the site of the American Association of Woodturners and their beginner turner section has a lot of info for the newbie. Also I like to leave an area on the bottom of the bowel for the chuck so I can re mount the bowl in the future to repair a damage
overall view.jpg
overall view.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
interior bottom view.jpg
interior bottom view.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
This is what I mean about leaving an area for the chuck to grab.
Bill V
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Here is a better view on another bowl which is about 9 inches in diameter.

this is how I align the sements
chevron bowl glue up.jpg
chevron bowl glue up.jpg (11.5 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
this is the finished bowl
side view.jpg
side view.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
I gave this to my wife's best friend as a Christmas gift.
Bill V
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Wow Bill. That is really nice. Inspirational. Thanks for the details.
wa2crk wrote:Also I like to leave an area on the bottom of the bowel for the chuck so I can re mount the bowl in the future to repair a damage
Bill V
From the pictures and your words I take it you make a mortise in the bottom to insert the dovetail chuck jaws into. Is that right?

Curious about how/what your doing on the tail stock side of the smaller bowl pictured.

Also appreciate the link to the wood turners organization. This will be very helpful.

thanks,

hal
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The largest bowl I've turned finished out at 10-1/2", but the rough blank was about 15". I used a conventional headstock with a speed reducer, universal tool rest, and both a faceplate and a chuck at different times. Details are in this thread.
Interior1.JPG
Interior1.JPG (502.04 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Hey Buckeye - that looks pretty darn awesome. Thank you so much for this info. And I'm going to check out your detail thread you referenced. Much thanks for that.

Hal
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hfmann
Yes I leave a recess on the bottom of the bowl for the chuck jaws. If you look closely you will see that I leave the recess and form a small rim for the bowl to sit on. The bottom of the bowl is turned first so that the mounting foot can be completed and then the bowl is reversed so the rest of the turning can be completed.
The thread I mentioned has several hours of reading and videos to guide you.
Bill V
Last edited by wa2crk on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Thanks Bill.

hal
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

forgot to answer one question. The tailstock side of the bowl is held with a second Talon chuck on a live tailstock center. When I glue on another ring I hold it in the jumbo jaws and I can align the glue joints or the pattern so things look good.
Bill V
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

wa2crk wrote:When I glue on another ring I hold it in the jumbo jaws and I can align the glue joints or the pattern so things look good.
Bill V
Very cool way to add another ring. Thanks much.

hal