Shopsmith Forum and FB

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Forum and FB

Post by dusty »

It pains me to say this but this forum is losing ground rapidly. The Shopsmith activity on Facebook now puts this one to shame. It may have been this way for a long time and I didn't know it because I have not been a fan of FB but it is reality now. I don't know that I will join in on FB but I felt it necessary that I say something.

I scrolled through the members list and found many names that I recognize from here.

I much prefer the format here and I appreciate the level of expertise here but FB just may be taking over. I also notice a greater level of "Shopsmith" involvement on the FB site.

Long ago I had been told by Shopsmith that they were going to get more involved on social media and guess that have done just that. I had thought they were referring to this forum but I now realize that I was most likely mistaken.

I hope I am all wrong in my assessment. :(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Forum and FB

Post by garys »

I don't use Facebook so it isn't an option for me. I won't log in and without being logged in, Facebook's popups make it impossible to view. So, unless and until they clean up their mess, I don't really care what content they have there.
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

That's too bad, I'll have nothing to do with FB.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I made this same observation last year with regard to Shopsmith related FB posts going up and Shopsmith forum posts going down. I was told at that time that the drop in forum posts was just "seasonal" in the thread below...is there some new data to verify the drop-off in Shopsmith forum posts? Seems like this has been a problem for a year or more.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... um#p260675
RFGuy wrote: It seems like more members have switched to Facebook lately anyway, as I have noticed the number of posts on this forum seems to have significantly decreased lately.
jsburger wrote:Having been on here for many many years the decrease in posts is pretty normal for this time of year. People are out doing other things like yard work or camping to name a few.
dusty wrote:I keep track of the number of daily posters and the number has decreased recently but that is cyclic. I am confident that it will go right back up.
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I use FB a fair amount but not for Shopsmith stuff.

I'm on the FB Shopsmith customer service feed; but that, in my opinion, is a waste; it consists mostly of individuals asking Shopsmith when their orders will ship and I've been meaning to silence that feed. I was also on a feed where people buy and sell Shopsmith parts (had to silence that one as it just overwhelmed my feed).

Not sure what other Shopsmith-related groups are out there, but I find this forum superior for Shopsmith-specific info. I still check the forum at least once a day.

One thing that has bugged me about the forum is the number of spammers. I know our Admins work hard to keep them out and to quickly delete them when they get through. But it seems like every day, day after day, there are more and more posts written in Cyrillic.

I belong to some other forums that do not have this problem to the same degree and I wonder why that is.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote: . . .

I belong to some other forums that do not have this problem to the same degree and I wonder why that is.
I speculate that since there is no monitoring or delay relative to registering that we simply have a wide open portal.

Admin please take note. Is it possible to filter out the spammers(most of them seem obvious from their profile).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Could not have timed that spam any more perfectly!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Actually, there has been an increase in membership over the past few months while at the same time these new members do not post a lot. That may be because they are spending their social media time on FB.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Could not have timed that spam any more perfectly!
???
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
ChrisNeilan wrote:Could not have timed that spam any more perfectly!
???
There was one of those huge SPAM messages just before Chris' post that one of the moderators deleted. :cool:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT