Rust Removal

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wmichaelb
Bronze Member

Rust Removal

Post by wmichaelb »

The legs? on my greenie base are a bit rusty. I have a can of the Shopsmith green spray paint, but would like to ask of this august group what sort of rust removal product you might recommend for cleaning up the legs in such a way that they would be repaintable. What's your experience, and thanks in advance.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Rust Removal

Post by jsburger »

If it was me, I would check with auto body shops in your area and see how much it would cost to have them media (sand) blasted. Otherwise a drill and a wire wheel to do it your self.

There are gel type (Naval Jelly) rust removers but I have no experience with them. Maybe someone else can advise on them.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Use Evapo-Rust first. Legs are pretty big so if you can't immerse them soak paper towels with the stuff and let them sit on the rust for an hour or more. That will remove rust and leave bare metal. You can sand, grind, or blast afterward if you like.

If you are in a hurry you can use rust converter products that will turn the rust to a hard black substance that you can paint over. I just did that on some legs before touching up spots.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Evapo-Rust works well but takes a long time. Soak some old rags, shop towels in it, cover the legs (removed) with them and wrap in saran wrap. Leave for 24+ hours and check. PRN
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Evapo-Rust is great stuff. I use it here. It is reusable but you have to be able to recover it to reuse it. That means a big tub and lots of Evapo-Rust for for MK-5 legs. Rags or paper towels soak and it will likely take a long time and require additional applications of the product. You also won't be able to recover the Evapo-Rust so it is lost money.

I have a blast cabinet here for my restores but it is not big enough for MK-5/V legs. I estimate it would take 30 minutes a leg. Maybe 45. A commercial shop would take less than an hour for both legs.

If you don't have the budget then a drill and a wire wheel and elbow grease will be the cheapest.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

A good paint stripper , sand blaster , soda blaster , sander ? My guess is there are many ways that will give good results, I sprung for a soda blaster kit years ago off ebay and it gives good to better than good results . its not as abrasive as sand blasting and is not toxic { no silica }, with use of a sifter the soda can be reused . My .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)