Router bit Question - Weeker 1/4 Spiral

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

Router bit Question - Weeker 1/4 Spiral

Post by bainin »

I picked up this bit from Amazon and on receiving I am perplexed that I cant see an obvious way to change the bearing on it.

My assumption was there would be an allen head screw on top to remove the bearing-but there isn't-sorry for the fuzzy picture.

Is this some bit of esoteria I didnt have on 1/4 spiral bits? That they dont allow for bearing changes or just my bad luck on this particular one?

There are actually 2 separate bearings on it.

Its made by Weeker - which I seem to only be able to find on Amazon and no company website ...sigh.

IMG_20200821_174641442.jpg
IMG_20200821_174641442.jpg (83.1 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
IMG_20200821_174713906.jpg
IMG_20200821_174713906.jpg (107.11 KiB) Viewed 3158 times

thanks !

b
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Router bit Question - Weeker 1/4 Spiral

Post by garys »

If there is no lock ring or other hardware on the end to remove it, likely it is a press fit.

My experience with bearings on router bits is that if you oil them occasionally they will last as long as the bit so you likely will never need to replace it.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Thanks !

Well- the reason I wanted to change the bearing was to do a complementary curve using the router table. With the instructions I'm following, this requires a bearing diameter change to recreate the original curve on 2 pieces for a good match.

Luckily, I discovered that my old bushing set actually works with my router table , it was originally used on a plunge router-I didnt know i had a table insert which supported the bushings as well.

So-I can recreate the bearing diameter change with a bushing set instead .

I have the sneaking suspicion that the tools I have in hand are very capable, but they are limited by my ability to know how to use them :)

b
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I just purchased an almost identical router bit last week, but mine was from Whiteside. I am used to bearing router bits, but never purchased a 1/4" shank bit like this before, so this tiny end bearing is new to me as well. When I went to use it, I found the bearing to be stiff to turn (even lubricated). I went ahead and used it briefly, but when I stopped the bearing had discolored indicating it was likely overheated. If anyone has experience with this style bearing on a router bit and has some tips I would appreciate it. The bit cut fine, but I would really expect the bearing to be free turning right out of the package. Perhaps I got a "lemon" when I purchased this bit or am I doing something wrong???
spiralbit.jpg
spiralbit.jpg (120.98 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I did a little bit of flush trimming with mine on 3/4" birch ply. I didn't observe
any bearing darkening and mine spun freely out of the box.

It might be a bad one.

b
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

That bit is defective. I have one from Whiteside just like it and have routed 30 or 40 feet of hardwood with not a hint of burning. Email Whiteside they will send you a new one.

Jack
RFGuy wrote:I just purchased an almost identical router bit last week, but mine was from Whiteside. I am used to bearing router bits, but never purchased a 1/4" shank bit like this before, so this tiny end bearing is new to me as well. When I went to use it, I found the bearing to be stiff to turn (even lubricated). I went ahead and used it briefly, but when I stopped the bearing had discolored indicating it was likely overheated. If anyone has experience with this style bearing on a router bit and has some tips I would appreciate it. The bit cut fine, but I would really expect the bearing to be free turning right out of the package. Perhaps I got a "lemon" when I purchased this bit or am I doing something wrong???
spiralbit.jpg
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

claimdude wrote:That bit is defective. I have one from Whiteside just like it and have routed 30 or 40 feet of hardwood with not a hint of burning. Email Whiteside they will send you a new one.

Jack
Jack,

Thanks. I appreciate it. Yeah, I was going to return it to Amazon and say it was defective. It was supposed to ship directly from the manufacturer, but for all I know this could have been a knock-off product that was just labeled as being from Whiteside.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The first ever whiteside bit I purchased had a similar bearing issue. Never thought to check it before starting to use it, but it didn't take long, maybe 18" before it started to burn the wood.... I was really off whiteside bits for a long while but with in the last couple of years I have started to buy them again if they have something I need.

I have never had this problem before or after but I do check new bits to make sure they are not defective, like live and learn I guess.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]