An old jointer on a SS 7 w/Power Pro - RPM?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

poihths
Gold Member

An old jointer on a SS 7 w/Power Pro - RPM?

Post by poihths »

I have a Shopsmith mark 7 with the power pro head. A friend of mine who unfortunately is having to stop woodworking just gave me his Shopsmith jointer. It's an old unit -- I'm not sure how old, but much much older than the mark 7. it's in good shape – he takes meticulous care of his tools.

It hooks up to the high speed spindle on the mark 7. Does the power pro speed chart understand the difference between the regular spindle and the high speed spindle and adjust its numbers accordingly? It comes up with 3450 for narrow stock and 3500 for wide stock. If those numbers apply to the regular spindle, the high speed spindle will be at 5520 and 5600. Does that make sense?

Are there any booby traps I need to watch out for?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: An old jointer on a SS 7 w/Power Pro - RPM?

Post by jsburger »

All SS head stocks have a high speed spindle. Well not the Model 10 but all MK-5/V's. The jointer has always connected to the high speed spindle. The Power Pro is correct. Just connect the jointer and go.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John is correct. I used my Jointer, an upgraded one made in 1979, earlier this week on my Power Pro headstock using the preset speed. Worked like a dream just as it should. So enjoy your new to you Jointer. I'm sure you will like having it in your tool collection.

The upgrades on mine include the dust chute with the safety covers and the feather guard retrofit which were not available for it when it was new.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

5.5 K is a good jointer speed.

Watch out for the spinning knives!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
poihths
Gold Member

Post by poihths »

Thanks a ton, everybody!