Finishing Beech Desktop

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

CanadianShopSmith
Bronze Member

Finishing Beech Desktop

Post by CanadianShopSmith »

Hi There,

This is my first time in many years attempting to finish a table top. I'm looking to finish a beech butcher-block style table top for a computer desk. I've picked up some Tung oil, Teak oil and varathane finishing wax. My thought was to sand the butcher-block down to 320 grit and then apply 2 coats of Tung oil. After cured I would apply a layer of finishing wax. I am targeting a matte or satin finish. I've never used these finishes before so I'd love to hear thoughts and suggestions on this approach of if a different finish would be more appropriate.

Thank you all,

-Kale
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Finishing Beech Desktop

Post by garys »

If the butcher top is intended to see any food on it, I would suggest finishing it only with a special food grade finish. You don't want to be eating residue from other types of finishes.
CanadianShopSmith
Bronze Member

Post by CanadianShopSmith »

garys wrote:If the butcher top is intended to see any food on it, I would suggest finishing it only with a special food grade finish. You don't want to be eating residue from other types of finishes.
Thanks Gary. The piece will be a computer desk so it should only see food if I am a messy eater and manage to drop a potato chip on the surface.

-Kale
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

sounds like your plan should work fine , use some 0000 steel wool to put the tung oil on and than a light steel wool after the last coat dries, that should give you a very nice finish , you may need to apply more than 2 coats depending on how well the wood responds to the oil . good luck and we will need pictures !!!!!!! my .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)