Introduction

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

isuras2
Bronze Member

Introduction

Post by isuras2 »

Hello. I just joined the forum. I have had a shopsmith for probably 12-13 years. But haven’t used it much. For the past few weeks, I have been using it a lot more. It is a Mark 510, model 555540 with build date from 1995. From my limited use these past few weeks, I’m starting to see it’s versatility as I used the table saw and will use the drill press once the drill chuck gets here. I have some attachments for it, SS 6” belt sander, Magna jointer and Magna jigsaw. I haven’t used those yet though. I have the original manuals for it and have been printing out the attachment manuals.

I have taken the belt cover off, lubricated and cleaned some of the inside of the headstock. I’ve waxed the way tubes (still need to wax the tables). I do have a stuck headstock lock that I need to address at some point. Other than that, I’m just looking forward to learning more about the SS uses and maintenance.
Robert

Mark 510 built 1995 with SS 6” belt sander, Magna jointer and Magna jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Introduction

Post by edma194 »

Hi Robert,

I'm pretty new here too. These guys are great, tremendous knowledge, and this site is full of technical info. I have a 510 also, plus a couple more. You can have tons of fun with that machine.

Ed
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Forum,

Sounds like you are off to a good start using your Mark V. The key to a well running Shopsmith is proper maintenance. Follow the cleaning and lubrication from your manual. The link below has a video on waxing in the second post and contains good information.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 23923.html

Another place to find Shopsmith information is under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. There is a PDF of an older Jointer Manual on his google drive.

As for finding Manuals for your SS 6” Belt Sander, Magna Jointer and Magna Jig Saw the good news is any Manual for these will cover the operation. There were very few changes to these SPT's over the years. The Belt Sander only had a change to the dust chute and the Jig Saw to the trunnion lock. The Jointer has had more changes mostly in safety upgrades and all can be added to any previous Jointers except the dust chute cannot be added to the Magna Model 4E Jointer made for the Shopsmith Model 10's.

If you come up with any questions feel free to ask them here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
isuras2
Bronze Member

Post by isuras2 »

Thanks Russ and Ed. I’ve already done some rabbet cuts on wood (making a laundry drying rack).
I’ve looked through the forum and Facebook and have found the manuals for my sander, jointer (model 620-C), and jig saw (model 610) and added them to my SS manual. I will look at the links for the maintenance information too as time allows.
Right now I’m using it as a hobby.
Robert

Mark 510 built 1995 with SS 6” belt sander, Magna jointer and Magna jigsaw
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

Welcome to the Shopsmith forum Robert.
Nvmarv
Silver Member

Post by Nvmarv »

I have the 610 manual but my question is what is the blade angle from the top and bottom. Mr looks like there is an inches or two variation which seems off. The maneal doesnt give info on this. Any help appreciated.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Nvmarv,

I am not sure how you can get that much of an angle (1 to 2 inches) on the blade if it is assembled and aligned correctly. Other than a slight amount of angle that can be created by having the blade forward in one mounting block and back in the other mounting block the blade should be at 90 degrees from the table on both axis. Unless the angle is side to side not front to back. In that case check that the arm is properly seated in it's mount. The Arm should be at 90 degrees to the table. If it is front to back make sure the arm is all the way in it's mounting point and the upper head is all the way in the arm. The other cause for being off 90 degrees side to side is the table angle is not set correctly. These are problems that are caused by not being properly assembled or aligned.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

We need pix again!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Nvmarv
Silver Member

Post by Nvmarv »

Had a problem with both but got the front to back one figured out but I have a left to right( looking at cutting edge of blade) of about 1/16 of an inch movement... not sure if that is a lot. When I tried a practice cut follows the line I drew ok but notice the blow for removing saw dust from the tube isn’t blowing. There looks like a gasket between the upper and lower section but looks like a press fit so don’t want try and force off if it’s not suppose to come apart. Sprayed oil in blow hole and saw it leak from gasket area so assuming that’s the issue.. again the manual doesn’t show any gasket or being able to separate. Again thanks for ideas. Will try to post pic
Attachments
2101ABE9-703A-41FA-9DDE-F316342BEF70.jpeg
2101ABE9-703A-41FA-9DDE-F316342BEF70.jpeg (22.31 KiB) Viewed 5584 times
Nvmarv
Silver Member

Post by Nvmarv »

The other view
Attachments
98F5BF06-C7E8-48BA-9180-ECCF92AE7389.jpeg
98F5BF06-C7E8-48BA-9180-ECCF92AE7389.jpeg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 5583 times