Table Saw SawSmith Delux for Sale in Georgia

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bgeagle
Gold Member

Table Saw SawSmith Delux for Sale in Georgia

Post by bgeagle »

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Table Saw SawSmith Delux for Sale in Georgia

Post by edma194 »

I have a SawSmith Ultra. It appears the original owner cut the very long rails in half, but it also came with an additional pair of shorter legs. If I could join those rails they'd be over 10' long. Mine was a later model that has a pretty strong blade carriage, there may have been problems with the earliest units but you don't really need the sliding crosscut capability that much, a simple sled will do just as well.

I really haven't used it since I got it, and just today I started making the clips to mount the rails. Those clips disappeared somewhere in my basement and I'm sure I'll find them shortly after making the replacements. I hope to have it up and running by the end of the week. It comes with an Excalibur fence that is big and hefty. I have a Shopsmith and a contractor tablesaw so this one will be reserved for the fine woodworking I've been waiting most of my life to do.

After finding out about these I started searching Craigslist nationwide to see what showed up. The closest one that came up for a long time was over 300 miles away. I was close to giving up when I found one less than 40 miles away. It was in perfect running condition, complete with all parts plus a few extras for $500.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you didn't know about the SawSmith 2000 Table Saws than you probably don't know about the other Table Saw related to the Shopsmith. The Magna 710 Table Saw was part of the Magna Line Tools made by Magna Power Tool Corporation in the later 1950's and continued into the Yuba era. The Magna Line Tools also included the SPT's as we now know them. The SPT's were first referred to as Add-a-Tools as part of the Magna Tool Line. The Table Saw could be mounted on an individual stand as shown below or on a larger stand with an SPT like the Jointer.
Lakewood 1.jpg
Lakewood 1.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Chad Wall posted this thread back in April:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 23593.html

He prints parts for the Sawsmith, can model parts if you need them manufactured.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I had to find the old literature to get the features of the different models right:

Standard and Pro Models - These have tubular rails like the Model 510, and a Model 510 type fence

Standard Model - Approx. 48" tubular rails, tie rod at end, no extension tables
Pro Model - 67" tubular rails, 2 extension tables, 2 support legs

Deluxe and Ultra Model - These have extruded Excalibur rails and an Excalibur fence

Deluxe Model - 49" extruded rails, 1 extension table
Ultra Model - 78" extruded rails, 2 extension tables, 2 support legs

The unique feature of the Sawsmiths is the sliding carriage that allows the blade to be pulled through the wood for crosscuts. It crosscuts like a radial arm saw except it's not upside down and backwards. They claim the motor develops 2 1/2 horsepower, unlikely, but it is strong and runs smooth.
Ed from Rhode Island