SS Stainless Steel Fastener Upgrade Kit Review

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

SS Stainless Steel Fastener Upgrade Kit Review

Post by Spooner »

So as I mentioned in another thread I have just purchased a 1990 SS Mark V with the 510 table and fence system. Needless to say the prior owner wasn't exactly on top of his maintenance and upkeep of the machine. It's obvious he had lost several bolts on the head and just replaced them with whatever he had sitting on the workbench at the time. I had seen this kit on eBay but deemed its price too high to warrant purchasing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Everything-Bol ... 2749.l2649

You can also go to the guy's website and buy them individually if you don't need or want to replace to everything. He also has kits for other things like boats and harleys.

https://rtbolts.myshopify.com/

$50 bucks is a lot of money for nuts and bolts. But after looking at the current bolts on the SS I noticed how rusty they were. So when I ventured out to find my own nuts and bolts I knew I should go for stainless steel as well so they won't rust again. Finding the right size and the right thread and wondering if they would fit and on and on I realized finding substitutes was not going to be easy either. Eventually I also realized I was rapidly approaching the $50 bucks for quality fasteners that I could just get in the kit and know they would fit right and work right the first time. So back to eBay I go. Purchased the kit and they arrived quickly.

I recently used the Caster Kit on my caster upgrade project and the bolts are top notch. The old hardware for the casters had a flat head and square nut and they were steel so they were rusty and seized. I really gnarled them up getting them off. The new kit came with stainless steel nuts, washer and nylon lock nuts. They are nice. I would give the Caster Kit 5 stars.

I have not had time to put the remaining fasteners on the SS but plan to. As I do I will add my opinion on that kit's performance and ease of install. So keep checking in.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: SS Stainless Steel Fastener Upgrade Kit Review

Post by edma194 »

I regularly replace hardware like that as I work on machines. Close to the same nuts and bolts for the legs, I prefer those nylon nuts instead of star washers. Will do the same for the casters that I'm about to remount. Don't like square nuts in general, they always show up whenever I only have a hex socket handy. Might be nice to change everything to 5/32 hex socket bolts and screws but I haven't gone that far.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I haven't done it on a Mark V but my first Shopsmith Model 10ER restoration has Stainless Steel set screws and other hardware. The person Spooner is talking about sells a Stainless Steel Set Screw package for Model 10's on ebay but it is only 5 each of 3 sizes. That is way incomplete for a Model 10E or 10ER. Model 10's use seven different size set screws in quantities from 1 to 18. For the ebay set you would have to buy three sets, substitute at least 3 of the longer 3/8" set screws for shorter ones, which I actually do and still need to buy 4 other sizes. You will end up with a lot of extra 3/8" and 1/4" set screws. I purchased my replacements locally. They were rather easy to find. Some specialty type set screws used on accessories are a little harder to find. There are Oval Head Flat Point Head, Cone Point Head and Full Dog Head set screws used on accessories besides the standard Cup Head set screws.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Well last night was the Table Insert Screws. Motor Mount Kit and the Leg Attachment Kit.

Lets start with the Table Insert Screws. The ones that came out were beginning to round out and strip. The new stainless steel ones fit perfect and flush.

Motor Mount Kit. I took one out at a time and replaced it with the new ones. They went in easy and look very nice. I should have taken pictures. IF you guys want pictures let me know.

Now the Leg Attachment kit is a bit of a different story. The bolts are for a counter sunk hole. My holes are straight and flush. I have contacted RT Bolts to get their thoughts on how to remedy this issue. I'm wondering if the older models were counter sunk.

I will keep you posted!!!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Leg attachment holes in the base/arm and headrest were countersunk on the earlier Mark 5/V's. I do not know when it changed but the ones I have restored from 1982 and earlier were countersunk. My 1991, 2006 and the double tilt ends are not countersunk.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
TonyB1649
Silver Member

Post by TonyB1649 »

I use fastenal to find replacements, usually they sell smaller quantity.
I needed the pin that holds the spring in place for retracting the quill. SS price for one was $7.95 with shipping. Got 50 from fastenal for $7.00. Of course that is a lifetime of need, but I could not bring my self to pay $7.99 for 1.
It would be easy to replace screws if SS would provide screw specs.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Back in the olden days the sizes were identified. Local sourcing was encouraged(manuals said so).

Any current hardware store management will tell you they cannot pay the rent selling onesy twosy screws etc.

I agree $7.00 dollars is not a solution by any means.

I am thankful my ONLY local HARDWARE store has changed hands and expanded the low margin thingie department. I hope it lasts!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

There should be a copy of the set screw sizes document on the My Google Drive link of the subject "Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More" sticky topic on the Maintenance and Repair section of the Forum. Some of the other fastener and bearing sizes are listed in various repair/rebuild threads as well. I do not think anyone has gone through and compiled a list of fasteners that are used in addition to the set screws.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

For years I have operated on the idea that if I need one bolt today, I will need it again at a later date. I always buy bags of bolts or screws. If it saves me one trip to the store to buy a single screw, I win. Using data from AAA, it costs $0.75 a mile to drive my truck. If I have to drive 10 miles to get a screw, the real cost of the screw will likely be more than $10. With no way to tell if the store has what I need may have to drive all over town to get it. Nowadays, I ask myself, can I wait a few days for this screw. If the answer is yes, I order a bag of screws and wait for them to show up on my pourch.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I did a list for the Model 10's Set Screws some time ago but did not include screws, bolts, nuts washers, etc. Some of those parts are very specialized such as P/N A 2333 the Knurled Socket Screw for holding on the Belt Cover on a 10ER. Before that, the Belt Cover was held in place by a simple 3/8" NC x 1/2" Hex Head Bolt and washer (P/N 102-37 & 102-37W). The list for these parts would be difficult because of the different Model 10 changes. The set screws didn't change that much from the introduction of the Model 10E to the end of production of the Model 10ER. In fact there were only five set screw additions from the original Model 10E to the last 10ER. The good news is most sizes are listed for these parts in the Manuals. The same is true for the early Mark 5's manuals. Changes to the Mark 5/V over the years have changed the hardware used on the Mark 5/V's and with the additional Models for the upgraded Table/Fence systems there are more. Even something as simple as what type of screw holds the legs to the base and headrest ends has changed. Does your Mark 5/V use square nuts or hex nuts? Maybe it is a project worth doing but would take a lot of research and time.
Russ

Mark V 520