Jointer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Jointer

Post by Spooner »

Just received a year 2000 jointer in an unopened box. Never used and no rust. The factory had over tightened the screws on the chip collection port and broke the tabs so I need a new one of those but my question is this. Prior to this jointer I had a 1958 jointer. Now I've never used it either but the fence on it seems fixed in place. Like you loosen the lever on the end and will move. I've never tried it but with this new jointer the fence is not fix in any way from sliding from side to side. To me this seems unsafe to say the least. Is that how it's supposed to be or have I installed it incorrectly? I'm going to go look at my older one and see if that fence is fixed in place by a tightened bolt or by rust.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer

Post by jsburger »

Both fences are the same. Very little has changed on the jointer since it was first introduced as the Model 4E for the Model 10 SS. The locking lever performs two functions. It locks the fence in position side to side and it also locks the tilt. You pull the lever out or push it in depending on which lock you want.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

so the fence IS supposed to lock in place then? Correct? When I loosen the lever I can adjust the angle of cut. But the fence freely slides from side to side after I have tightened the lever. I wonder if I'm missing a part.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Just had an Ah Haaaaaa!!! moment. If you want to tighten the fence from side to side the lever has to be on a nut on the end of the bolt. If you want to tighten the fence angle you want to tighten the inside nut. Very interesting design indeed. Thanks JS
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Spooner wrote:so the fence IS supposed to lock in place then? Correct? When I loosen the lever I can adjust the angle of cut. But the fence freely slides from side to side after I have tightened the lever. I wonder if I'm missing a part.
Yes it tightens side to side. To repeat, there are two positions in and out of the lever. One position locks the tilt the other position tightens side to side. Push and pull on the lever hub to change the function.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Spooner wrote:Just had an Ah Haaaaaa!!! moment. If you want to tighten the fence from side to side the lever has to be on a nut on the end of the bolt. If you want to tighten the fence angle you want to tighten the inside nut. Very interesting design indeed. Thanks JS
You got it! :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Spooner,

Now that you understand the Fence Locks is there any other questions you have about the Jointer? Do you still have the 1958 Jointer? If so you will notice there isn't a lot of differences between it and your 2000 Jointer. In fact the main differences are the Dust Chute, Feather Guard and Safety Upgrades. These can be added to the 1958 Jointer. There was also an adjustment stop added. That can be seen just above the depth Indicator/Logo Plate on newer Jointers as shown in the picture below. This cannot be added to older Jointers since it has a protrusion from the Base/Outfeed Table casting as part of the stop.
505681-B Jun 84.jpg
505681-B Jun 84.jpg (135.11 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
If you have the 1958 Jointer and need a Manual for it check Everett's Google Drive (at the link below) for a 1964 Manual which will be the same as the 1958 Manual except it has the newer part numbers.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... RuBhsXlCKy
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

I think I did find that manual on Everett's Google Drive. That thing is going to take a lot of cleaning and hard work. It is a mess... The other thing Russ... you keep saying the only thing difference between the two is the safety features, dust shut and stop piece. But I swear the 2000 jointer is lighter. :D
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I cannot tell you if there is a weight difference. It is possible some of the castings could have had their mass reduced. Don't give up on your 1958. It can be restored unless there is serious problems with it. Below are before and after pictures of an early 1954 Jointer I restored. The first shows the Infeed and Base/Outfeed Tables already cleaned up but they were in worse shape than the Fence. I wish I had take more pictures of it before and after.
Fence still rusted
Fence still rusted
IMG_0157r.jpg (214.33 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
All ready to go to work
All ready to go to work
IMG_0224r.jpg (235.59 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Wow Russ that did clean up nice. And that fence is close to the current condition of my old Jointer. Now that I have the Mark V and some other SPT's I have a lot of other projects I have in mind before the restore. LOL...