Boards warping immediately after cutting

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Boards warping immediately after cutting

Post by DLB »

Welcome. Your picture(s) did not make it through. See this thread, pinned as one of the first three under Community, for guidance: https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 19246.html

- David
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Depending on the grain of the wood, ripping any wood can relieve stresses and cause it to warp.

Also, are you sure you want to make a cutting board out of mahogany ... it is a pretty open grain wood. Maple is the typical choice.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

R. e: Boards warping immediately after cutting

Post by wa2crk »

Best choices for cutting boards are American Cherry, Walnut, and hard maple. Open grain wood will absorb juices and will go rancid quickly.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

We need to know some 'history' re the African Mahogany.
Did you allow it to stabilize by living in your shop a few weeks?

Being a 'novice', the answer is likely no.

When bringing a piece from one environment(lumber yard) to another(your shop), the wood needs to gain moisture stabilization prior to being cut(especially ripping).

Another thing is ripping releases internal tension that is worse when not stabilized.

It is folly to think gluing and clamping in a different from unclamped shape will succeed in the long run.

If you are making an end grain cutting board, are not the 'pieces' relatively short?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
megank
Silver Member

Post by megank »

Gluing is definitely not going to work for Mahogany. Once it's warped any attempts to straighten them out will only result in further fissures towards the center of those pieces.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I had one cherry board a couple of years ago that did the same thing. It came from a load of 10-15 year old cherry that I had stored so moisture wasn't a problem. All the other boards in that load have worked fine for me.
I had to give up on that one and try another one and the second one worked just fine.

Like br549 said, depending on the grain and how it was cut, that happens, and you can't fix it.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Based on your description it sounds like this happened the instant after you cut them, correct? I recently saw a Jay Bates video where he talked about this (case hardening) and referenced a good article about it. I found it interesting, so hopefully this video helps explain the problem to you as well, i.e. hope this is useful. Of course, if it doesn't happen until day(s) later then it likely isn't case hardening but rather movement due to changes in moisture content after cutting.

How to Test for Case Hardness:
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wood ... ed-lumber/

Case Hardening Article:
https://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/ ... ained.html

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGg8dGxzK4[/youtube]
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Case hardness-thats interesting-in a bad way !

My first thought was humidity on the wood not being stabilized (mentioned above).

My second thought was a combination of humidity in the wood and and a high friction wood producing local heating at the blade contact. Is that possible?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sorry I did neglect to bring up internal stresses in the workpiece.

And yes the force balance is altered by cutting thus creating the crookedness.

Those stresses are in addition to and altered by moisture.

Those internal growth stresses are why stump and limb wood are prone to warping.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I guess I have been lucky not to encounter any case hardened boards, in fact I never heard of them before now. I do a fair amount of milling of rough lumber, mostly 8/4 expensive stock. Just one case hardened board would really ruin my day. Thanks for the post.