Bandsaw: New style table vs. old style table?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donpol
Gold Member

Bandsaw: New style table vs. old style table?

Post by donpol »

I've been using a bandsaw for several years now that has the older style cast iron table. It has been adequate for my work. I just recently acquired a bandsaw with the newer style aluminum table; it also has the fence. Besides having a fence, and being slightly larger, I can't see much of a difference in the two tables.

I just wanted to ask those that have used both types of tables which one you liked better? Also, is one type better for certain situations?
ehbowen
Gold Member

Re: Bandsaw: New style table vs. old style table?

Post by ehbowen »

I only have the older cast iron table and I really haven't used it enough to form an opinion, but I'd like to hear what others have to say. As Far As I Know, upgrading from it to the aluminum table is still an open option.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Unless your existing table is inadequate for whatever you do with your bandsaw, WHY UPGRADE????
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I considered upgrading but, the iron table suits my needs quite adequately. I have no issues with it's size nor, it's lack of a fence.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have had both and sometimes I wish I could go back to the cast iron table. You can achieve a fence by using the miter gauge in the cross slot and a piece of wood to make a fence. I also have the fence for the newer table but 99% of the cuts that I make on the bandsaw are free hand. I also liked the way the stock would move across the cast iron table provided that the table is well waxed. Much smoother than the newer aluminum table. JMO.
Bill V
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Only the cast iron table can use magnetic jigs.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

roy_okc wrote:Only the cast iron table can use magnetic jigs.
I can see that being an advantage. If I could have a cast iron (magnetic) Main Table - I would.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Another iron table user checking in, haven't seen the need to upgrade either. There's no problem with the size. To cut large circles I just clamp a sheet of plywood to the table and stick some kind of pin in where it's needed. You can do the same thing for any object of an unwieldy size.

Like Bill V, most of what I do on the bandsaw is free hand so the fence wouldn't matter much but a miter gauge in the cross slot works fine or just clamping down a piece of angle iron.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I have only the iron table and it suits my needs. I made a fence for it out of wood. I've not had my hands on an aluminum table so have no knowledge of it, but expect it would work very similar to my iron one.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

donpol,

It will be up to you as to which one you like best. If you are keeping both than you can use either depending on the task.

I have both but have only really used the newer one I have with the aluminum table with fence, extension and circle cutter. I do like those features. I only recently bought and restored a 1956 Greenie Band Saw which still need one item finished. It does not have any upgrades except new bearings.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.