I'm doing a Power Pro Self Upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: I'm doing a Power Pro Self Upgrade

Post by JPG »

Proceed cautiously here. I am not 'sure' the clip positioned the eccentric flush with the casting. Since you are doing a M7 upgrade that includes the new sytle idler shaft, the clip would not make any sense.

What do the instructions say regarding all this on an "A" casting???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Drilled and tapped a hole for a 10-24 screw and washer as a retainer for the eccentric bushing and the bearing. I 'snugged' up the cross bolt, didn't want to put pressure on the casting. I'm still not sure what's holding what but I have the split in the eccentric bushing all the way over to 9 o'clock so it should be good and tight in the casting. The article I reached from the 'Everything Mark V' thread says the retaining washer has to resist pressure trying to push the shaft back out of the casting, not sure if that applies to the Power Pro configuration.

The belt seemed to be aligned so I installed the power supply. The holes I had to drill worried me but the mounting tabs are slotted and with Tinnerman clips it worked out just fine.

So now it's time to remove the 510 head and mount the upgraded one and proceed with mounting the motor.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The positioning of the eccentric(adjusting slot) has no effect on the 'tightness' of the eccentric in the headstock. I suggest positioning it to 6 o'clock until belt tensioning occurs.

The control sheave pushes against the bearing so the screw/washer provide a stop. The screw and washer in the eccentric retain the bearing. The added screw and washer retain the eccentric.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I see that I'll have to adjust the eccentric for belt tension. The eccentric and bearing seem to fit flush with the casting face when the belt is aligned, but this still worries me.

And there's always one more thing, putting the wedge locks back in the instructions mention installing two washers (part 120394). There are a couple of washer that came in the parts I haven't noticed used anywhere else. I assume they are intended to go between the casting and the wedge locks but no idea why. There's nothing about this in the upgrade video nor have I seen them mentioned in any other video. Perhaps it's only for later models, I don't see the point of using them.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

edma194 wrote:I see that I'll have to adjust the eccentric for belt tension. The eccentric and bearing seem to fit flush with the casting face when the belt is aligned, but this still worries me.

And there's always one more thing, putting the wedge locks back in the instructions mention installing two washers (part 120394). There are a couple of washer that came in the parts I haven't noticed used anywhere else. I assume they are intended to go between the casting and the wedge locks but no idea why. There's nothing about this in the upgrade video nor have I seen them mentioned in any other video. Perhaps it's only for later models, I don't see the point of using them.
That makes two of us(twice).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There is a spiral wrap that goes over the threads and the washers keep it in place so it doesn't get in the threads. The wrap protects the wires. Make sure you install this or your asking for having to take it apart again to fix.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ah so!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

reible wrote:There is a spiral wrap that goes over the threads and the washers keep it in place so it doesn't get in the threads. The wrap protects the wires. Make sure you install this or your asking for having to take it apart again to fix.

Ed
Thanks Ed!
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Got the washers in the right place thanks to reible. Took the 510 head off the tubes and the carriage too while I was at it, then cleaned and waxed the tubes. Put the carriage back, put the upgraded headstock on. It's up in vertical mode with the table in the back, ready to begin mounting the motor. I think I can finally power it up tomorrow. Really hoping it actually turns on and the motor spins.
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

If it's not one thing it's another. I finally took the motor out of the box and the plastic shroud over the fan is broken in two places where it screws in. This is probably due to rough handling because of the way it's packed, the different foam pieces can shift, the shroud is entirely enclosed in one piece of foam while several other pieces of foam surround the motor. I probably did this recently after removing parts and packing that would allow the motor to shift in the box.

I kind of doubt this is service item for sale, so I'm going to go ahead and patch in a piece that broke out, fill a crack, and then use washers where the screw attach points are broken. I'm thinking of using silicone because I don't know what kind of plastic it's made of and it will certainly hold it together and can take high temperatures. I won't try to install the motor until Monday though, I'll call SS just to see if it's an available part.

By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, I will get this upgrade completed!
Ed from Rhode Island