help - desperate - plastic drive assembly - need solution

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: help - desperate - plastic drive assembly - need solution

Post by wa2crk »

If it was only a dust cap as SS stated and has no other function I would leave if off. You may have to service the unit more often but that is easy.

"In 1959, a nylon cap (3408) was added to the end of the (202100) Drive Sleeve Assembly. This was primarily a noise suppressor and did not materially change the mechanical operations."
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:I am wondering if a piece of heat shrink tubing would work to hold it together. Preferably the dual walled adhesive lined type.
Whazzat?

Shrink tubing just might work well.

Will adding to the outer dimension create any interferences?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jadamowicz
Bronze Member

Post by jadamowicz »

Thank you all!..

I think i will actually try 2 simultaneous solutions mentioned above. I will use some CYA Glue to keep it together, then run some heat shrink tubing around it to seal it. It is not near anything that a small outside diameter increase would even bother.

Thank you!
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:
rpd wrote:I am wondering if a piece of heat shrink tubing would work to hold it together. Preferably the dual walled adhesive lined type.
Whazzat?

Shrink tubing just might work well.

Will adding to the outer dimension create any interferences?
Thicker and there is an adhesive layer inside that melts and bonds the tubing to the wire or whatever is inside, makes it waterproof.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

That looks like it would be an ideal part for someone with a 3D printer and scanner to start making up. Once setup, they should be quite cost effective to produce.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

garys wrote:That looks like it would be an ideal part for someone with a 3D printer and scanner to start making up. Once setup, they should be quite cost effective to produce.
I was thinking the exact same thing. From the pics, it doesn't look like it would be difficult to replicate.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes: