help - desperate - plastic drive assembly - need solution

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jadamowicz
Bronze Member

help - desperate - plastic drive assembly - need solution

Post by jadamowicz »

Hi All,

My little round plastic drive assembly on my Gilmer drive unit (usually a $8-$10 part) broke, and Shopsmith no longer sells it.

They can only ask me to convert to the new Poly-v and new Quill for $450+ NOOOO!!!

I am dead in the water for a little plastic coupler.
this thing:

Does anyone have one, know where I can get one, or make one?
Willing to pay handsomely, and quickly!

email jadamowicz67@gmail.com

Thank you!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: help - desperate - plastic drive assembly - need solution

Post by JPG »

I am a bit unsure of this, but is not the nylon piece in the gilmer quill merely a dust cap?(or is that the model 10?)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:I am a bit unsure of this, but is not the nylon piece in the gilmer quill merely a dust cap?(or is that the model 10?)
It is not the Model 10.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jadamowicz
Bronze Member

Post by jadamowicz »

the piece is smooth on the inside, at both ends, so it is not "driving" anything. It may very well just be a "dust preventer" or "alignment assistant"....if anyone knows for sure, that would help me determine how I should proceed.

thank you!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jadamowicz wrote:the piece is smooth on the inside, at both ends, so it is not "driving" anything. It may very well just be a "dust preventer" or "alignment assistant"....if anyone knows for sure, that would help me determine how I should proceed.

thank you!
Now that the model 10 has been eliminated, it fer sure is only a dust cap.

Broken? post a pix of the pieces. Maybe cya glue will be thy solution.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jadamowicz
Bronze Member

Post by jadamowicz »

Here is what the part looks like "broken"...

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jadamowicz wrote:Here is what the part looks like "broken"...

I would think a good cleaning and then a filler type epoxy to keep it together and prevent any further deterioration.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would degunk it, wash with alcohol, then sparingly attempt to cya glue the cracks back together.

THEN using strips of heavy duty alumunum foil, glue the foil tight to the outside with glue between the layers of a spiral wrap.

May work.

Use acetone to get the glue off thy fingers. :D

Ya cannot hurt it much further. ;)

If all fails. simply leave it off. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You can run your Mark 5 without it. It is the Nylon Collar added to the Drive Sleeve about the time of the change to the "B" Headstock. It is Part Number B3408 and was listed in the 10-55 Manual's parts list but not shown in the exploded parts diagram until the 10-56 Manual.

In the 1974 Supplement to the Mark V Parts List it was explained as follows

In 1959, a nylon cap (3408) was added to the end of the (202100) Drive Sleeve Assembly. This was primarily a noise suppressor and did not materially change the mechanical operations.

Some of the changes by date were not always correct.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I am wondering if a piece of heat shrink tubing would work to hold it together. Preferably the dual walled adhesive lined type.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,