New to the hobby; looking for tips

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ehbowen
Gold Member

New to the hobby; looking for tips

Post by ehbowen »

I really haven't done any woodworking, but I'm planning to do some work around the house and I'd like to be able to build my own bookshelves and similar. Also, I've got a front porch rail which needs repair and a lathe which could turn the uprights to match the existing would come in handy.

I've acquired a 10" Craftsman table saw and so far managed to find all parts other than a good rip fence, and I've also got a benchtop drill press (cheap Chinese crap, but usable). I'd love to get my hands on a good Shopsmith setup, but at present a new machine is well outside of my budget. However, there seem to be a couple of used ones currently available withing reasonable driving distance, a Mark V and a 10ER.

What should I be looking for when shopping for a used Shopsmith machine? And does anyone have recommendations for any information to study and simple projects for a newbie to complete in order to gain experience?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New to the hobby; looking for tips

Post by JPG »

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... EpSUm9GMW8

Scroll down to bottom. There click on the buying a used ss 'link'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The link JPG gave you is a good start. Besides the document "Buying a Used Shopsmith" at the bottom of the page on Everett's google drive there are numerous other restored manuals and documents for the Shopsmith tools. As for using the Shopsmith check out the restored PDF version of the book "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone" under "PTWFE 10ER 1953" also on Everett's google drive. It shows the Shopsmith Model 10ER in use. For the Mark V in use you can access a digital version of the current "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone" book at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/academy/introduction.htm

As for which Shopsmith 5 in 1 tool to get the Model 10E and 10ER were made between 1947 through 1953. Being this old there are only 2 parts other than set screws and other common hardware that are still available. Those are the Quill Return Spring and the Quill Bumper Ring that are the same on the Mark V. The Mark 5 first went on sale in March of 1954 and later became the Mark V in 1980. The Mark V 520 is still available new today with a larger table and pro fence system than the original of the Mark 5. All Mark 5/V's are upgradeable to the current models of the Mark V 520 and the Mark 7.

With the Model 10's you are somewhat limited on what you can add to them as far as using SPT's (Special Purpose Tools) like the Scroll Saw, Band Saw, etc. Using these on the Model 10's requires a special bracket and pulley which are rare or buying a new fabricated one from Skip Campbell at MKC Tools. The Mark 5/V can use all of the SPT's.

I like both the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER tools along with the Mark series tools. I own and am keeping a 10E, a 10ER, a Mark 2 and a Mark V 520 that has been upgraded to a Mark 7. These are all useable tools although I rarely use the Model 10E which is one of the original 250 produced for Montgomery Ward stores in 1947 that started the Shopsmith success. I also restore Shopsmith tools as a hobby and currently have 2 Model 10's to restore plus my Mark 2. I may add additional Mark series tools to my collection in the future.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

Welcome to the forum. I bought my ‘82 Mark V 500 in April last year and have been buying SPT’s, Parts, and upgrades. Which have lead me to having two Shopsmiths a Mark V 520 and a Mark 7.

I think you be more happy with a Mark V 500, 510 , or 520 because most of them have a 1 1/4 hp motor. There are some with 3/4 hp motor which are in the older Mark 5.

Too me having the more hp motor is the way too go, but that up too you. Well good luck and enjoy making sawdust.

Kirk
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Picky details:

There are Mark 5's with 1 1/8 HP motors. All greenies have 3/4 hp motors(as shipped from the factory). Not all goldies have 1 1/8 hp motors(as shipped from the factory). All may have been upgraded to a 1 1/8 hp motor.

I think the power saw function is the only one that 'requires' that size motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ehbowen
Gold Member

Post by ehbowen »

Well, I've found a prospective Shopsmith very close to home. Haven't seen it in person yet, only the ad on Craigslist:

https://houston.craigslist.org/tls/d/ho ... 04166.html

It looks kind of rough in the photos and I have no idea what parts/accessories will come with it. Still, since the seller has not listed a price, what would a fair offer range be?
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Like you noted, no idea what else is included, and it needs a lot of cleaning/rust removal. If you are looking for a restoration project, find out exactly what is included, and start with an offer as low as you dare. Based on pictures, I'd say $100 or less.

If you are willing to drive a little, expand your search to include Austin, Dallas, etc.

Here is one I see offered in Austin area. It is much cleaner, includes bandsaw and jointer. May still need some repair, but it looks well worth the asking price.
https://austin.craigslist.org/for/d/har ... 17088.html

It too is a Mark 5/V/500 version, which many would disregard in favor of the 505/510/520/7 larger table system. I personally have found the 500 table size fine for my needs.
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

I have purchased several Shopsmith's over the years and if the only things you are getting is what is in the picture I would pass on this. You would have A LOT of work and A LOT of expense purchasing what's missing before you would have a very basic setup. If you still want this thing $25.00 would be my offer, and I would ask him to pay me the $25 to remove it from his property.
ehbowen
Gold Member

Post by ehbowen »

I'm much more interested in the one in Austin which BR549 found.

Edit To Add: One reason I've started shopping Shopsmiths again is because I really need a good rip fence system for some projects, and to get one for my old Craftsman table saw (Vega Pro 40) would cost about $400. If I can get a Shopsmith setup with better functionality for that price or better I'd be ahead of the game. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for if I drive up to Austin? Seller suggests that the motor bearings may need replacing; how big/expensive a job is that?
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

EHBowen
Changing the motor bearings is not difficult if you are handy. If you do not feel comfortable in doing that you can have a good electric motor shop change them. It should not be terribly expensive. Check first.
Bill V