Shopsmith Crosscut Sled

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shoedo
Gold Member

Shopsmith Crosscut Sled

Post by shoedo »

Does anyone on this forum use the sled? If so, how are the holes used during operation and is it a worthwhile addition to the Shopsmith? The photos are screen shots. The Shopsmith website doesn't show the face of the sled so it's difficult for me to know if these are predrilled during the manufacturing process or if the previous owner drilled the holes.
Attachments
MVC-176S.JPG
MVC-176S.JPG (17.05 KiB) Viewed 12564 times
MVC-178S.JPG
MVC-178S.JPG (17.23 KiB) Viewed 12564 times
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Crosscut Sled

Post by algale »

I don't own the Shopsmith cross cut sled but I do have the Incra 5000 Shopsmith edition cross cut sled. I do think a cross cut sled is a nice edition. My personal preference are the Incra one's that integrate gauges or allow you to use one of their excellent miter gauge so precise miters can be cut on the sled.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

shoedo wrote:Does anyone on this forum use the sled? If so, how are the holes used during operation and is it a worthwhile addition to the Shopsmith? The photos are screen shots. The Shopsmith website doesn't show the face of the sled so it's difficult for me to know if these are predrilled during the manufacturing process or if the previous owner drilled the holes.
The holes come pre-drilled from SS. They are designed to set the fence a pre-determined angles.

To quote from the SS web page that lists the sled...

"The aluminum fence adjusts quickly for 90-degree, 45-degree, 36-degree, 30-degree and 22.5-degree angle cuts to make precise miters for four, five, six, or eight-sided projects."

I have never used mine for angle cuts but I use it all the time for 90 degree cuts and it works fantastically. I wouldn't be with out it.

F
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I use one and like it, especially for large material. The holes, IIRC, are pre-drilled and are to set the sled for common angles. I've only used the T-slot version, and mine has the auxiliary table which I also like but I think it could have been sized better. The miter bar is somewhat longer than the one from a miter gauge so you can work with wide material. I got mine as part of a used Mark V, one of those things I probably would not have bought but I find I really like it.

Cons: You do lose a bit of capacity in thickness.
For large material it works best with an extra extension table. One on the right adjusted to support the sled (co-planar to the main table) and one on the left adjusted to be co-planar with the sled to support the cutoff.

- David
popjack
Bronze Member

Post by popjack »

I agree with the above. Once you have the sled, you wish you got one sooner!
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

jsburger wrote: I have never used mine for angle cuts but I use it all the time for 90 degree cuts and it works fantastically. I wouldn't be with out it.
Ditto!

The sled is a great addition to the shopsmith table saw. Having that fence to clamp the workpiece to is really handy.

Make sure you get the small table that goes on the "off" side of the blade as well. You need to raise the surface the same amount on both sides of the blade.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edflorence wrote:
jsburger wrote: I have never used mine for angle cuts but I use it all the time for 90 degree cuts and it works fantastically. I wouldn't be with out it.
Ditto!

The sled is a great addition to the shopsmith table saw. Having that fence to clamp the workpiece to is really handy.

Make sure you get the small table that goes on the "off" side of the blade as well. You need to raise the surface the same amount on both sides of the blade.

I made one with a 1/2" piece of Baltic Birch plywood and two SS sliding T nuts and bolts.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The Cross Cut sled is an OKAY addition to the shop. I use mine but I built a larger one to better accommodate what has been my typical projects.

I'll post some pictures here later in the day.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I have a home-made one...made with 1/2 or 3/4 ply I think.

it does cut down on cut depth.

Do you think a 1/4 or even less like this would be enough support?

I understand for extended/unsupported work something solid is required, but for a sled that rests on the table and possibly the extension table as well-I dont feel like thickness is required.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RevolutionPly- ... 8/50121135

b
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bainin wrote:I have a home-made one...made with 1/2 or 3/4 ply I think.

it does cut down on cut depth.

Do you think a 1/4 or even less like this would be enough support?

I understand for extended/unsupported work something solid is required, but for a sled that rests on the table and possibly the extension table as well-I dont feel like thickness is required.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RevolutionPly- ... 8/50121135

b
In my opinion, the sled needs to be more stout that I believe that would make it. I debated 1/4" baltic birch when I made mine (and the out feed table) but I choice 1/2" and I do not regret it. The Shopsmith sled is also 1/2".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.