Color me hot and confused chisel sharpener

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Color me hot and confused chisel sharpener

Post by reible »

Hi,

A while back I purchased the 555812 Chisel Sharpener attachment for the strip sander. I really like it and have had very good results, to this point I was happy to just copy the angles of what ever I was working on...

Today however I was doing some reading about lathe tools and it got me thinking I might just try a bit of a different angle grind. Then for the first time I looked at the gauge that sets the angles.... now I'm lost as there seem to be no match between what I see and what the angles are????

As an example if I set the arm at 90 deg to the patten it reads 75 deg on the gauge. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong or maybe I put something together wrong or.... hay it hot and humid and maybe my brain has fryed...

I couldn't figure out how to post an image here but I put one out on my yahoo photo page that show what I'm talking about. Please take a look and see if anything looks wrong to you or perhaps someone can explain the way I should be reading this scale.....

To take a look:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/elv60504@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/eda6re2&.dnm=da99re2.jpg

Feel free to look at the other shopsmith things I have there as well.

Thanks,

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So can I take it that no one else has one of these?
OR
You have one but don't know anything more then I do about reading it?
OR
You just can't bring yourself to post a message?
OR
You don't have the heart to tell me what stupid thing I'm missing?
OR
?????

Still need some help on this... please.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think I might have the solution to my problem. I of course am the problem... anyway someone at the ssug.org site pointed out that the picture I posted looks different then the catalog picture so I'm out to the shop to see how this all went together and if I don't have one of the parts backwards.... Missed that!

Anyway I will post back later and let you know if things are fixed.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Looks like it is fixed... rather then bore you with details please see the post at ssug.org under the mark v area. I also posted a wrong/right picture in the same album at yahoo.

Ed
Jeffsail21

Sharpening JIG (for strip sander) & GUIDE (for disc sander)

Post by Jeffsail21 »

Ed, Nice work. I don't know the answer but have had mixed nice results with the SS Chisel Sharpening Guide (used with disc sander). At a SS Traveling Academy, the Sorcerer, Skip Mertens showed how to use the GUIDE (different from your JIG)... by adding an angled wood block to the wood plate, separately from the GUIDE itself. It speeds up the change overs, and (improved from the Factory SS Instruction Manual) doesn't require tilting the saw table. Of course the Ext. Table doesn't tilt.

...... If anyone has done this, would you kindly share the plan for the /angled wood block/ addition? I met 2 other SS Users who also sharpen a lot without tilting the table, under the GUIDE. They point out, that the GUIDE can't sharpen extra short chisels. Ideas, please??

....... Beautiful work on your Saw Blade Storage (in your photos).

Jeff
``