Both new to me.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ShawnT
Bronze Member

Both new to me.

Post by ShawnT »

Greetings, the past month has been interesting for me as I was able to acquire not 1 but 2 SS. I am the proud owner of a "Goldie" based off the SN she was built in 1964. I will get pics this weekend. Then 3 days after I got Goldie to the house I ended up getting a 1997 grey SS(i'll get pics of this as well). Goldie is a bit rough but the motor runs strong but both belts were dry rotted and there were a few things that seemed "stuck". New belts are on the way, the stuck parts are now un-stuck and I've been turning the silver parts back to silver. The 97 is like new, I've yet to find any residue from the previous owner. The 97 is missing the tail stock unless that was an aftermarket part but the tail stock from Goldie fits just fine.
Now for the questions, Did the 97 come with the lathe rest? I have 4 additional tables to appear to be deck extensions or out fall table. Can someone share how to set those up? Also is there a parts swap/buy section in this forum? :
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Both new to me.

Post by rpd »

ShawnT wrote:Greetings, the past month has been interesting for me as I was able to acquire not 1 but 2 SS. I am the proud owner of a "Goldie" based off the SN she was built in 1964. I will get pics this weekend. Then 3 days after I got Goldie to the house I ended up getting a 1997 grey SS(i'll get pics of this as well). Goldie is a bit rough but the motor runs strong but both belts were dry rotted and there were a few things that seemed "stuck". New belts are on the way, the stuck parts are now un-stuck and I've been turning the silver parts back to silver. The 97 is like new, I've yet to find any residue from the previous owner. The 97 is missing the tail stock unless that was an aftermarket part but the tail stock from Goldie fits just fine.
Now for the questions, Did the 97 come with the lathe rest? I have 4 additional tables to appear to be deck extensions or out fall table. Can someone share how to set those up? Also is there a parts swap/buy section in this forum? :
There should have been a lathe tool rest with the 97. The rest itself will be the same as the Goldie, but the arm and post are different, to go with the different carriage.

As this forum is hosted by Shopsmith, there is not a buy/sell section.
There is a sales group on Facebook that you can check out. https://www.facebook.com/groups/298235127282459/about/

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJzokdtg5wY[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Welcome to the forum. Your '97 system sounds like it was originally a Model 510, which refers to the table system. The primary difference from its predecessors is a larger main table, expandable table system, and related accessories. It was followed by Model 520, the most obvious difference is that the 510 has steel tubes on the front and back of each table while the 520 has aluminum extrusions. Like almost every upgrade, these improved systems are offered as upgrade kits to older models, so it is just a guess on my part that yours is and was a 510.

It would have originally come with four tables: a main table, an extension table, and two floating tables. The extension table and floating tables are the same size, the difference is the extension table has a base ('legs') for mounting on either end of the SS bench. Many users expand the table system, adding any combination of additional tables and mounting tubes. This thread contains a few examples of setups based on expansion:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/begi ... 23553.html
The table systems normally come with four connecting tubes, which the tables clamp to, and two adjustable legs. Other components are available and/or shop made. It sounds like your system is expanded from original. It is not really possible to answer your question of how to set it up, the answer depends on what woodworking operation you are doing and what components you have. Generally, they expand the table system any combination of left, right, infeed, and/or outfeed.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Forum, ShawnT

Your Goldie would have been made sometime between 1960 and 1963. In 1964 the Mark 5's were painted gray. From their introduction in 1954 until early 1960 they were painted in the Greenie paint colors. The serial number could help us narrow it down for you. Your other Mark V from 1997 does sound like it could be a 510. Below is a picture of a 510 to compare with yours.
01_Model 510.jpg
01_Model 510.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 9909 times
If you do not have a manual for the Mark V 510 below is a link to the 505-510 Summary Manual from here on the Shopsmith website to get you started.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf

The following link is for the Mark V 500 Summary Manual.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf

The attached PDF is the missing page SM6 of the Mark V 500 Summary Manual. Sorry I forgot to add this earlier.
500 Summary Manual page SM-6.pdf
(93.69 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
A lot of the information will be similar to your Goldie Mark 5. Do you know if it is a later Goldie with the Poly V Drive instead of the original Gilmer Drive? Also changed during that time was the motor from a 3/4 HP to the 1-1/8 HP motor. Keep us updated.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.