Intro & Seeking guidance

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Mullet
Gold Member

Intro & Seeking guidance

Post by Mullet »

Hello all. I just joined the forum and the world of SS. I've been aware of this piece of ingenuity for a while, but finally was able to attain a SS.

I bought a 3rd or 4th hand SS MkV 500 - serial is SS 9679, so i believe it is a 1988+, gave $300. Trailered it for 2.5 hours.

With the change of hands, i'm sure i'm missing things (like all the hand tools it came with, and a manual). But this forum has been exceptionally helpful due to its free sharing membership! Ya'll are awesome.

Currently i am going through the machine, runs smooth, but identifying parts, lubricating, learning the ins/outs of my new toy/tool. Finding lots of loose bolts (from the transport i believe) and trying to identify if anything is missing.

First thing i would love to do is improve on the table sizes (like a 500-520 upgrade), but 1700 is a bit much more than i can bear right now. So i'm researching ideas of DIY Mods for improving, as i have access to some ss & aluminum fabrication (not milling, but shop level).

However, while going through what i did recieve, i found something puzzling.... I have (2) two large tables, I have no idea whats-what.

Can ya'll help identify them for me? Also, what am i missing?

Three pics, 2 of the two different tables and 1 of the extras that came with it. Also included some pics of the unit i gave 300 for.

Scratch the above statement. how do i add pics??
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Intro & Seeking guidance

Post by DLB »

To post a picture look under 'Community,' it is called 'How to Post a Picture' and it is in the first four threads under Community. The process is not 100% intuitive, but you'll get the hang of it.

- David
Mullet
Gold Member

Post by Mullet »

Table 1
Table 1
table.jpg (304.06 KiB) Viewed 14823 times
This is the first table, above.

Table 2 below
Table 2
Table 2
table22.jpg (296.34 KiB) Viewed 14823 times
Accessories
What came with the  500
What came with the 500
accessories2.jpg (388.23 KiB) Viewed 14823 times
Below are other pics of the 500
Body1
Body1
body.jpg (378.33 KiB) Viewed 14823 times
Body2
Body2
body2.jpg (294.03 KiB) Viewed 14823 times
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Welcome. Glad you were able able to figure out how to post pictures.

First, I think yours is older than 1988. Looking at the Serial Number guide on this website, probably made between 1973 and 1978, and closer to 1973 end of the range. https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm Date codes didn't begin until 1988 and the date code is 6 digits (month, day, year)

The table with extra slot may be original with the main unit. The second slot, intended to make ripping wider boards possible while fence is still on table, was discontinued sometime before 1980. (My 1980 model came with a notice explaining that the 2nd slot had been recently discontinued).

Upgrading to a larger table system is certainly possible, but be aware that many other things would have to be upgraded too, such as fence, saw arbors, saw guards, sanding discs (which I don't see any by the way)

Some owners have added a second carriage and use two 500 tables for extra table saw surface area.

As far as what you are missing, you can look at some of the restored manuals that Everett Davis has provided for models from earlier eras (See https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 16113.html, and there are a number of resources available free from Shopsmith https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/productmanuals.htm). Besides an Owner's Manual, the Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone (PTWFE) and perhaps a self-study course would be good purchases. PTWFE is available free online. "Standard" accessories frequently were minimum, with additional accessories available as options, such as casters, drum sander, lathe chisels, lathe faceplates, brad point drill bits.

There were a number of upgrades over the years for the Mark V 500, including saw guards and a fence upgrade. With all of the improvements over the years, just be sure to read and absorb as much knowledge as possible before making purchases to ensure compatibility.

For $300, I think you got a good deal, especially since you also got a bandsaw and an extra table. And most importantly, it is in running condition!
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Mullet wrote:Hello all. I just joined the forum ahttps://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/download/file.php?id=49421nd the world of SS. I've been aware of this piece of ingenuity for a while, but finally was able to attain a SS.

I bought a 3rd or 4th hand SS MkV 500 - serial is SS 9679, so i believe it is a 1988+, gave $300. Trailered it for 2.5 hours.

With the change of hands, i'm sure i'm missing things (like all the hand tools it came with, and a manual). But this forum has been exceptionally helpful due to its free sharing membership! Ya'll are awesome.

Currently i am going through the machine, runs smooth, but identifying parts, lubricating, learning the ins/outs of my new toy/tool. Finding lots of loose bolts (from the transport i believe) and trying to identify if anything is missing.

First thing i would love to do is improve on the table sizes (like a 500-520 upgrade), but 1700 is a bit much more than i can bear right now. So i'm researching ideas of DIY Mods for improving, as i have access to some ss & aluminum fabrication (not milling, but shop level).

However, while going through what i did recieve, i found something puzzling.... I have (2) two large tables, I have no idea whats-what.

Can ya'll help identify them for me? Also, what am i missing?

Three pics, 2 of the two different tables and 1 of the extras that came with it. Also included some pics of the unit i gave 300 for.
Left to right,
- Inspection hole cover plate, goes on back side of the headstock
- Shopsmith saw arbor, takes blades bored to 1-1/4", you can get an arbor that takes standard 5/8" bored blades 555321
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... arbors.htm
-
-
- Dead center, goes in tailstock for lathe turning
- Drill chuck
- Eccentric, mounts in the tailstock
- Drive center, mounts on the spindle for lathe turning.

You could make brackets to mount your extra table to the back of the main table as an out feed table.
This video shows that done for the 10ER, I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to adapt the concept for your Mark V
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R6Czc47jXo[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the forum,

The last two posts have given you some good information and I would add to that. Your Shopsmith Mark 5 was made in 1975 by my best estimate by Shopsmith Inc. The main table with the extra slot was its original and the extra slot was discontinued by 1980. There have been many changes to the Mark 5 (pre 1980) and Mark V (1980 to present) over the years. The manuals referenced in the link above are for the early Mark 5 from the 1950's and show the Gilmer Drive not the later Poly V drive your Shopsmith has. Other changes occurred between then and when your Shopsmith was made. The good news though is the operation of the Shopsmith is the same. The Self Study Guide (10 lessons) and the book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone are excellent references on using the Shopsmith. As was already said the current edition of PTWFE is available online on the Shopsmith website and the 1st edition is on Everett's google drive linked at the same place as the 1950 manuals. The 1st edition featured the Shopsmith Model 10ER not the Mark 5 so I recommend a later edition such as the 2nd, 3rd or revised edition. The 3rd edition would have come with your Mark 5.

Before you look at upgrading your Mark 5 try using it and getting to know it's capabilities first. As you have already seen it can be a bit costly to upgrade. You may want to consider keeping an eye out for used Mark V with the table system you want which could be less than buying the needed parts. Remember the difference in the models of the Mark V 500, 505, 510 and 520 is the table system including the carriage and related parts. The headstock and bench are the same.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Here is a page from a 1980's Owner Manual page that shows what would have come with a Mark V in 1980 ... yours likely was very similar.
Attachments
ShopsmithOwner'sManual04.jpg
ShopsmithOwner'sManual04.jpg (227.84 KiB) Viewed 14360 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

FYI,

It may be of interest to you for the books mentioned earlier. The Shopsmith Mark V owner's manual, self-study course and Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone books are for sale in an auction on eBay ending next Wednesday morning. Although the manual is newer than your Mark 5 it should be nearly the same since few changes were made during the intervening time. The main change was discontinuing the extra table slot. The PTWFE book is the revised edition copyright 1984. Opening bid is $10 and if there isn't much interest in it you may get a good set of reference materials for a very reasonable price.

br549 posted a copy of the standard attachments page from a 1980 manual. It is the same as the 1973 manual except the Saw Blade Guard was not included as standard items yet and the Sanding Disk was originally Aluminum. You already have the Blade Guards. If you have any specific questions that would be in the manual I have the 1973 and 1976 manuals. You can also copy the PDF version of the 3rd Owner's Manual from Everett's google page as a reference. Newer editions of the manuals were mostly a result of changes to parts on the machine. Most of the setup and operation information, including the pictures, remained the same through the first Shopsmith Inc. manual in 1973.

I forgot to mention this before but there is a PDF available from Shopsmith for a Summary Mark V 500 Manual at the link below. You may find it helpful as it covers Alignment and Maintenance for the Mark V. https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf

One last thing I wanted to mention is do not buy copies of manuals on eBay. Many of them are older ones and are already available free on line. Most on Everett's google page and as time permits he is expanding the information available there. Others that are copies of newer manuals like those found as PDF's on CD's are infringing on Shopsmith copyright's and should not be supported.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Mullet
Gold Member

Post by Mullet »

WOW! You guys are Great!!!!! Thanks so much for the info and answers. I'm sure i'll have more, but will try to research this forum prior to asking.

News Flash: I already have to change my wormgear/quadrant. worm shaft was bent and hard to turn, then it Popped...... Yay Me.

Now trying to find the speed gear assy. SS want the entire assy w/ idler pulley for ~88 bucks.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The worm gear itself can be replaced if the rest of the Speed Control Assembly is okay. Check the teeth on the Quadrant Assembly part to make sure they are not damaged from the bent Worm Gear.

If you looked at the service section on the SS website you will find the 17 most frequently ordered items. The Speed Control Assembly P/N 504198 ($84.99) is one of the those frequently ordered items. You can probably find a used one for sale but compare the price and shipping costs to the new one before you buy and remember it is used so no guarantees. I am not saying you cannot find a good used one out there for a reasonable price but it is buyer beware on the used market. When reinstalling it use a good dry lubricant on it. Remember the gears on the back of it are exposed and can collect dust on them "gumming" them up so oil products are not the best option there.

You mentioned the Idler Pulley, is there a problem there too? Once you have the Speed Control Assembly out check the Control Sheave Assembly which is the moving sheave on the end of the Idler Shaft. If the bearing is frozen, hard to turn, or if the rectangular retaining loop has come off the end of the control sheave, you may need to replace it. This is also a good time to make sure it is lubricated and moves freely on the shaft.
Russ

Mark V 520