Dust Collection - I can't breathe!!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shoedo
Gold Member

Dust Collection - I can't breathe!!

Post by shoedo »

Hello fellow dust makers!

Powermatics has a current sale that runs through April 30th and offers a 15% discount. I would like to get your opinion regarding which dust collection options are good, better and best. Do any of you use Powermatics dust collectors? If so, which and what would you do differently? I was looking at the Powermatics, PM2200 CYCLONIC DUST COLLECTOR - WITH HEPA FILTER KIT 1792200HK. This system retails for 3000 dollars and with the discount would be about $2500. Does anyone on this forum use the Powermatics PM2200? Does anyone on this forum use the Shopsmith dust collection devices? Do they work? There is no comparison between the micron filtration of the Shopsmith and the Powermatics but the Shopsmith is available for less than a fifth of the cost. I could buy the Shopsmith DC3300L and a good respirator. (any suggestions on good respirators?)I just want to know how you are handling dust collection. Keep in mind that I am a Shopsmith novice and had never heard of Shopsmith until May 2019. Shopsmith offers two options, their 3300 and the new model which offers a little more horse power. I am just a novice who acquired a Shopsmith set-up for home use and have no intentions of using my equipment to make things for retail sales. My goal is to be able to fashion my own kitchen cabinets etc.
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Dust Collection - I can't breathe!!

Post by algale »

You can get a 1 micron filter bag for the Shopsmith dust collectors. I have the older Shopsmith DC3300 with the 1 micron bag and it is ok. Maybe a bit underpowered in terms of CFM of air moved. I don't think the newer DC330L moves any more air.

But the bigger problem with dust collection with the Shopsmith is that it has a lot of gaps in the lower saw guard/table interface that makes it tough to get a good seal and good dust collection. If you search the forum, you will find many post about this issue and some work-arounds, some of which are better than others but none of which is perfect.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My reaction is that $3000/2550 is overkill.

I have a DC3300, but have no experience with the newer DC3300L.

However I would give the newer one serious consideration. More CFM. HP means little other than it takes HP to move air etc.. For wood chip/dust collection you need both CFM AND VELOCITY.

I do think the DC3300 is weak, but adequate. If you may be planning ducting a system, then more CFM etc. is needed. Etc. also includes static pressure. All are interrelated.

IIWM I would go with the cheaper DC3300L. Save that money for a good respirator!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: However I would give the newer one serious consideration. More CFM.
Says who?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:
Says who?
My powers of recollection are far from perfect, but as I recall, when the DC3300L first came out it had a CFM spec of over 600. I notice neither catalog listing mentions CFM. I be suspicious that SS does not want that there as it might make the less expensive one more attractive.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote:
algale wrote:
Says who?
My powers of recollection are far from perfect, but as I recall, when the DC3300L first came out it had a CFM spec of over 600. I notice neither catalog listing mentions CFM. I be suspicious that SS does not want that there as it might make the less expensive one more attractive.
I'm not following that explanation. They sure didn't hide the new unit's HP advantage! If they don't want to outsell the DC3300, don't bring out a new product or bring it out at the same or higher price and tout it's superior specs and let people decide whether they want better performance or a lower price. Weird that they design a product that is cheaper and performs better and yet they don't tell anyone officially?

Yes, I recall someone talked to customer service and was told on the phone 600 cfm on the new one. But as you know the catalogs are silent on cfm for the DC330L. The on-line manual is likewise silent. Since one of the main things knowledgeable people want to know about a dust collector they are considering buying is cfm (not HP), I find this inexcusable. The naming convention also is odd if the new one truly has greater cfm. The DC3300 moved 330 cfm. DC330L moves ...600? Odd. Maybe call it the DC600?

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It was not intended to be an 'explanation', but rather expressing a suspicion.

I agree SS is acting strangely on this.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

number3456
Gold Member

Post by number3456 »

I installed a ClearVue cv1800 LH and it has been very effective. I also got the CV06 mini system that hooks up to a shop vac. It’s all pricey for better quality equipment but worth it if you can afford it.

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/

Like others here said the tablesaw is tough one as it leaks.

A good respirator like JPG suggested is a must in my opinion. That is the cheapest route. Sanding is one of the worst generators of fine dust. I have a 3M cartridge respirator that I like.
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I am leaning towards a Laguna P or C Flux, 1 1/2 HP.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I use the DC-3300, would call it good not great. SS claims higher CFMs for it with relatively inexpensive filter/hood upgrades, improved to 1 micron and 695 - 890 CFM with 42 inch hood for $95. I'd like to know if any users agree with those claims. I'd like a better system, but realistically if I spend $2500 or $3K in my shop I'm going to choose tools that make dust every time. But $95 I can handle.

I recall a thread in which a couple of forum members were using inexpensive air quality monitors in their shops, but I don't recall exactly who was involved and what type equipment they were evaluating, and I can't readily locate the thread. Maybe this is enough to fire someone's memory and they can provide a link. Not likely a PM2200, but possibly enlightening due to objective observations.

Related grumbling: I looked at two retailer websites for PM2200 specs and neither one shared whether the 3HP motor was 220V or 3-Phase or ???. I'm not in the market, but if I was this would be kind of a big deal.

- David