Shaper Arbor/Collars Identification/other items - Uses

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shoedo
Gold Member

Shaper Arbor/Collars Identification/other items - Uses

Post by shoedo »

Some of the collars are rather large and would like to know when it would be appropriate to use a particular collar and for what operation. One of the shaper arbors, 9 of clubs is significantly beefier compared to the others. I could draw an analogy to large and small router bits but its the arbor size not the cutter size. One of the shaper arbors has precision laser written on it. Anyone have experience with this type of arbor. It's the 7 of clubs. Any recommendations for cleaning up the arbors? I used table vinegar bath on some rusted items and in some cases, it stripped the finish. I probably left it in too long.Thanks in advance!
Attachments
MVC-116S.JPG
MVC-116S.JPG (45.77 KiB) Viewed 8226 times
MVC-119S.JPG
MVC-119S.JPG (31.43 KiB) Viewed 8226 times
MVC-120S.JPG
MVC-120S.JPG (50.98 KiB) Viewed 8226 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shaper Arbor/Collars Identification/other items - Uses

Post by chapmanruss »

Let's try to make some sense of this for you. Remember the Arbors date back to the Original Shopsmith 5 in 1 Tool, the Model 10E first made in 1947. There is a lot of history there for the Arbors, Spindles and Chucks made for the Shopsmith tools not to mention those made by other manufactures that fit the 5/8" Spindle of the Shopsmith. Some of the items you show are not parts of Shopsmith Arbors, Spindles or Chucks. Others are individual parts of the Arbors or Spindles. I still do not have picture of all of them but will include their information. The first PDF is a listing of all the known to me Arbors, Spindles and Chucks plus some general description information that you may find useful.
Shopsmith Arbors.pdf
(132.02 KiB) Downloaded 921 times
The next PDF is a picture and information showing most of the Arbors.
Shopsmith Arbor Picture.pdf
(195.67 KiB) Downloaded 951 times
That was only Arbors and does not include the Shaper Spindles. Those are in the following picture.
Spindles Labeled.jpg
Spindles Labeled.jpg (300.67 KiB) Viewed 8202 times
There were two versions of the early 1/2' Spindles with one having a wider shorter base (not shown) and the other (shown). These early Spindles also came first with a 1/8" set screw and after the introduction of the Mark 5 a 5/16" set screw. The Chucks, not Drill Chucks are generally the holder for the Router Bits and shown below.
Chucks Labeled.jpg
Chucks Labeled.jpg (341.87 KiB) Viewed 8202 times
This picture does not show the straight sleeve 1/2" Chuck in either bare metal or black oxide coated. It also does not have the 1/2" Eliminator Chuck. I hope this information with the attached PDF's and pictures helps.

In your pictures you show some washers and spacers for arbors (king of clubs & 7 of hearts). These are used with the first Arbors both 1/2" and 5/8" through today with the 5/8" Molder/Dado Arbor (505506) to space and hold different blades or other items requiring an Arbor like the current Molder Head. Theses Spacers and Washers are all machined on one side next to the center hole and the machined side goes towards the blade or other item it is holding. The Shaper Spindles use Rub Collars and has 4 different diameters used for the depth of the cut. Not all of the items you have are made by the manufacturers of the Shopsmiths over the years. I do not recognize what the two items are with the 2 of hearts but they look like some kind of brackets or holder parts. Sorry my best description as I hurry to get this finished. Hopefully you can identify the Shopsmith items you have from this information. If not feel free to ask about specific items.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
shoedo
Gold Member

Post by shoedo »

I chuckled when Russ said "remember". Russ, I recognized your name and I am certain that I saw or read some internet information that you have posted previously. I know you are among the Shopsmith gurus. I have no historical memory Russ because I never heard of Shopsmith until May/June 2019. I really appreciate the forums's efforts to educate me and I know I have lots of questions. I've sent a few emails to Shopsmith but they have yet to reply. I guess their biggest contribution for people like me is this forum and I do appreciate it. I will keep reading and keep posting. Thanks for your efforts!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

shoedo wrote:I chuckled when Russ said "remember". Russ, I recognized your name and I am certain that I saw or read some internet information that you have posted previously. I know you are among the Shopsmith gurus. I have no historical memory Russ because I never heard of Shopsmith until May/June 2019. I really appreciate the forums's efforts to educate me and I know I have lots of questions. I've sent a few emails to Shopsmith but they have yet to reply. I guess their biggest contribution for people like me is this forum and I do appreciate it. I will keep reading and keep posting. Thanks for your efforts!
I am sure SS will not answer any questions about anything they don't currently sell. That would be part number specific even though it is an "identical' part. It is a liability issue. It's the lawyers.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sometimes when I write responses I tend to think of them as answering not just the person asking but the group in general. In this case you are playing catch up to others. It is good to ask questions and is a chance for others to be reminded about the given topic. This one today reminds me that I still need to update some of my pictures showing the different Arbors, Spindles and Chucks. You now should have a better understanding of these, why there are different ones and some history. Keep asking questions and become more informed on the Shopsmith Tools.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:Sometimes when I write responses I tend to think of then as answering not just the person asking but the group in general. In this case you are playing catch up to others. It is good to ask questions and is a chance for others to be reminded about the given topic. This one today reminds me that I still need to update some of my pictures showing the different Arbors, Spindles and Chucks. You now should have a better understanding of these, why there are different ones and some history. Keep asking questions and become more informed on the Shopsmith Tools.
Absolutely, ask here. There is no bad question. We know more of the history than the current SS does or willing to share.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Or willing to learn! (accept as factual).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As John and JPG said,

We know more of the history than the current SS does or willing to share. (John) Or willing to learn! (JPG)

Most of the longtime employees at Shopsmith are retired and there has been a large turnover in recent years. The newer employees only have reference to recent documents like the parts lists and diagrams. They do not know when asked, as an example, Is the Main Frame of the Band Saw the same for all Shopsmith/Magna Band Saws? They answered yes but the real answer is no. I know this one because I asked it a few years ago before researching the answer myself. I bought a Band Saw that was damaged during shipping. Trust me, Never ship a Band Saw with the mounting tubes attached. Newer Band Saws have a slip in bushing for the table locking bolts to go through the main frame. Older Band Saws have a pressed in bushing with split ends. I am not sure of when the change took place but may have been around the change to the aluminum table.

So , as John said,

Absolutely, ask here. There is no bad question.
Russ

Mark V 520