Thinking of starting a YouTube Channel

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Thinking of starting a YouTube Channel

Post by RFGuy »

Spooner wrote: Do any of you think a channel like that would be of any value?
Guess I should have asked this before replying before...By "value" did you mean monetary value or did you mean worthwhile to the Shopsmith community? I guess, I interpreted the latter, but may have been presumptuous. If are looking to monetize a YouTube channel based on solely Shopsmith content alone, I would be cautious on this path. My understanding of how YouTube monetizes ads, ever since Google took over, is that you won't make very much doing this. Most social media influencers survive by getting sponsors and/or selling merchandise to supplement what little ad revenue that Google decides to share with them. In the 1M+ subscriber range, I think it is different, but most woodworking channels tend to be small and Shopsmith related content is a subset of this. This is why the trending (up and coming) woodworking personalities on social media often sell plans, templates, tools, t-shirts, hats, etc. Also many of them have Patreon accounts so that they can be paid directly by their fans. Without this additional income, it is difficult to make a living doing YouTube vids alone. You can look up estimates for income using sites like social blade to get a gauge on possible income from YouTube. For example the link below gives you an estimate for April Wilkerson who has over 1M subs on YouTube. This would be the high end, because a lot of talented and successful woodworking people on YouTube have only 100k or fewer subscribers. If you wanted income off of YouTube vids you would need to be churning out new vids constantly and would need many of them to go viral to get the clicks needed to trigger a decent ad revenue payout by Google's new algorithm. Just my 2 cents...

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/aprilwilkersondiy

https://statsmash.com/calculator/april- ... -net-worth
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
okiejim
Silver Member

Post by okiejim »

I have one. It is just projects I am building. Not the best quality. May not be the best solutions. It's just my way of sharing information about my Shopsmith. I don't make money. It's just fun.'

www.youtube.com/user/kd6vpe
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

RFGuy wrote:
I had meant Value to the shopsmith community. I realize I'm not going to get rich or retire on a career with YouTube but... If I can make an easy $100 bucks a month that would be nice. But when I said value I meant to the Shopsmith Community.
okiejim
Silver Member

Post by okiejim »

spooner
I can't wait to see what you decide to do. I watch every youtube I can on the shopsmith and will definitely be one of your viewers. Please let us know when we can watch your first one. I do not want alot of subscibers to my channel so there can not be any ads on it. I will subscribe to you to help you get the counts you need to make money.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

okiejim wrote:spooner
I can't wait to see what you decide to do. I watch every youtube I can on the shopsmith and will definitely be one of your viewers. Please let us know when we can watch your first one. I do not want alot of subscibers to my channel so there can not be any ads on it. I will subscribe to you to help you get the counts you need to make money.
Okiejim I love your enthusiasm. Now I only need 999 more viewers and I think it's like 42,000 hours of viewership or something like to become monetized. The Monetized part is as important as building a following. I will definitely let everyone know my progress on this thread as I go. I currently do not have the Mark 5 with me but I do have the SPT's that are in dire need of a restore. So I'm saving to purchase the parts and/or paint to restore them back to their original glory. So one will be on the Bandsaw, One on the Jointer and one on the Jigsaw.

That should give me a good feel if I'm good at this, if I like doing it and am willing to put in the time to do it right.
okiejim
Silver Member

Post by okiejim »

Absolutely,
It really does tale alot of time to make and edit videos. I should be back on in a couple of days. The Dr. says Saturday I can start lifting things again. Good luck.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Spooner wrote:
RFGuy wrote:
I had meant Value to the shopsmith community. I realize I'm not going to get rich or retire on a career with YouTube but... If I can make an easy $100 bucks a month that would be nice. But when I said value I meant to the Shopsmith Community.
Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't trying to discourage you or anything, but just wanted you to realize there isn't much money to be made in this on YouTube from what I can tell. Woodworking is a niche and Shopsmith owners are a much smaller niche of that niche. I think the Shopsmith owners group on Facebook has almost 5k members. Not everyone is on Facebook, of course, but I would be surprised if you can get to 10k subscribers on YouTube by posting Shopsmith only content. This combined with the fact that I think it was last year that Google changed how they monetized videos on YouTube means your ad checks will be small from this endeavor. That is why I mentioned to do this if you have the passion for it because it is not an easy way to earn income.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

If you find that you do like making the videos, maybe going through the SS beginners course would be an idea. Some people learn better when they see the different lessons demonstrated. Most of the lessons can also apply to stand alone machinery and if you mention the differences as you go through it, you may get more viewers.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

RFGuy wrote:
Spooner wrote:
RFGuy wrote:
Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't trying to discourage you or anything, but just wanted you to realize there isn't much money to be made in this on YouTube from what I can tell. Woodworking is a niche and Shopsmith owners are a much smaller niche of that niche. I think the Shopsmith owners group on Facebook has almost 5k members. Not everyone is on Facebook, of course, but I would be surprised if you can get to 10k subscribers on YouTube by posting Shopsmith only content. This combined with the fact that I think it was last year that Google changed how they monetized videos on YouTube means your ad checks will be small from this endeavor. That is why I mentioned to do this if you have the passion for it because it is not an easy way to earn income.

Actually there is quite a bit of money to be made. I know one guy that now banks his day job salary and lives on his YouTube income. There is a guy in Texas that has three channels, opened and is now in process of enlarging his YouTube merchandise business and buys all the toys most of us only dream of, cars, trucks, dirt buggies, exotic cars, street racers, guns, and taking some really nice vacations.

I think you need 1000 + subscribers for advertisers to start taking notice. When you get to 100 k subscribers you have it made and many makers now have 5 - 10 million subscribers, they are treated like TV celebrities when they go any where.

The tool review you tubers make enough to buy all the tools they review. And many good builders are picked up by corporate advertisers. I know April Wilkerson was supported by Triton.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Ed in Tampa do you have any idea how these people get sponsored? Should I just contact SS and say hey sponsor me or do I need a following first? I mean... I get what RFGuy is saying. Don't get my hopes up. But I do enjoy those guys that do the reviews or box openings. I'd love to be a SS review guy that shows and reviews all their tools and accessories.