Thinking of starting a YouTube Channel

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Thinking of starting a YouTube Channel

Post by Spooner »

Does anyone here have a YouTube channel? What kind of videos do you post on it?

The reason I ask is I'm contemplating starting a YouTube channel featuring the Shopsmith and Woodworking for the Beginner. Figured I could do reviews, tips, tricks, unboxings and all sorts of other stuff.

Do any of you think a channel like that would be of any value?

I am very interesting in all of your opinions.

Good or bad.

Thanks guys.
sehast
Gold Member

Re: Thinking of starting a YouTube Channel

Post by sehast »

YouTube is where our younger folks (and even us old codgers) get most of their non-academic education so I would say yes it would be a worthwhile venture if you enjoy doing it.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have a channel but most of it is for a sharing place for my grand kids and other family and then there are some shopsmith relevant things. The shopsmith stuff is mostly for some issue that has come up here and it is my way of trying to help.

I have very low upload speed so I keep the video's to about 30 seconds other wise it takes soooooo long to upload.

I post process the video and for the most part don't edit it. I use to have programs to do fancy editing but they all expired and I have not replaced them do to the expense. You can spend hours editing so that also eats into time that I don't wish to spend on that sort of thing.

Equipment costs can add up too. A decent camera and mic plus software, lights, tripods etc, well unless you already have them then factor that in.

Taking pictures or video really slows down projects. It will easily double your time especially if you are working alone.

Perhaps looking at my spot will show you how not to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpI78e ... bHVKNrvgyA

I've thought about doing a more professional shopsmith channel but more work then I think I want to put into it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I have a channel with a couple of SS related vids and music.

Go for it!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

If you have a passion for it, by all means go for it. I was using my Dad's Mark V two decades before YouTube was started, so unfortunately I didn't have access to it as I was learning. As someone with a bit more experience than a beginner, I can tell you the types of content that I find helpful are as follows. From a Doug Reid YouTube clip I learned to push in on the rip fence before locking it down (510 or 520 fence systems). Maybe this was in the documentation somewhere and if so, I somehow missed it. So tips and tricks like this, that may be commonly known on the forum, but keep coming up so could be some good content to put into video format. I also find the Nick Engler videos residing on Shopsmith Academy to be very helpful, e.g. when doing maintenance, adjustments, etc. The content in these videos is superb and Nick's style as an educator is very inviting, but unfortunately these videos can be hard to watch sometimes due to the low res quality (makes it hard to see what he is doing sometimes). I am not asking anyone to infringe on these videos, but if similar content could be created in a higher res video, I think it would be highly useful to many Shopsmith owners (even if they were just a supplemental addendum to Nick's videos). I also worry that someday this site and the Shopsmith Academy site might be retired leaving only the videos available on YouTube, so it would be good to have more content out there. There might also be rather obscure topics that could be covered. For example, I bought a new speed reducer last year and I have seen somewhere on the forum or in other places on the internet that supposedly these can be disassembled and lubricated to prolong their life. Topics like this where you show how to do items like this, that come up occasionally on the forum (and are not documented well) would be invaluable. Another useful thread, since there a few professional restorers and quite a few amateur restorers of Shopsmith equipment who reside on this forum would be to cover topics specific to restoration, e.g. cleaning rust & oxidation, polishing waytubes, headstock repair, etc., etc. Lastly, there are quite a few Shopsmith tools that are more arcane and could be highlighted on the channel so that more users are aware of them. Personally, I never knew about the pattern sander until it was highlighted by Alan on the forum a while back. Another item a little less known are the table extension brackets (555997) which seems to have vanished from the latest print catalog. Highlighting some of the Shopsmith products could be helpful to inform more owners about them.

Just some random thoughts here. I tried to offer areas that could be of interest for beginner to advanced. If any of these interest you great, if not that's okay. Wishing you well on starting your new YouTube channel...
Last edited by RFGuy on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I enjoy those I have seen(thanks rpd) and look for hints at things previously unknown to me. A caveat is to be careful to not propagate misconceptions.

FWIW the Doud Reid push rip fence has been 'discussed' here sans his influence. Yes it has helped those who participated in that discussion as well I assume those who observed. And yes it also applies to the M5/V 500.

Those I tend to 'get a kick out of' are those made by a gentleman from NC. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I would watch them. :)

Note there are several free, open source, video editing programs available, so you don't spend money to buy one. ;)

https://itsfoss.com/open-source-video-editors/
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Thanks for all the insight guys. I do like the idea of the different little tips and tricks you can do with a SS. I currently have a 1964 Bandsaw, a 1958 Jointer and a 1958 Jig Saw that I thought I would restore and video the process while I do it. Then do videos for beginners on how to operate these types of tools. I have a 1956 Mark 5 that has been in the family for 3 generations but I don't the kind of money needed to completely restore that but who knows. If the other videos were successful I'd probably go for it.

If I was to do some restoration videos what type of content would you want to see in them? And would you want it all condensed into one 10 minute video or stung out over several 10 minute videos?

I'd love to know your thoughts.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Did you know that YouTube is the 2nd largest (by viewership) streaming platform? Netflix is #1, but YouTube is #2 so hopefully it will be a stable platform for many, many years. Any Shopsmith educational content posted there should be safe and protected...at least until an apocalypse. Also more potential eyes viewing your content.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/awa ... 01777.html
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Spooner wrote:Does anyone here have a YouTube channel? What kind of videos do you post on it?

The reason I ask is I'm contemplating starting a YouTube channel featuring the Shopsmith and Woodworking for the Beginner. Figured I could do reviews, tips, tricks, unboxings and all sorts of other stuff.

Do any of you think a channel like that would be of any value?

I am very interesting in all of your opinions.

Good or bad.

Thanks guys.

Great idea but you will probably need to branch out. As I understand advertising will pay for most of your equipment and work but you have to attract advertizers. This requires a fairly large viewer base. 50k + I think to get that while focus on Shopsmith will build some you need to look to other equipment and suppliers. There are a couple channels out there sponsored by Triton, Rockler, Powermatic, Titebond glue and a few others they can be problematic if they want to show another equipment manufacture.

I would send a proposal to Shopsmith, even if they give you a negative reply go ahead do your thing and see how big a subscriber base you can build. If you get big enough and focus on Shops it’s they would be stupid not to get involved

I hear it is rough road starting out so do not be discouraged. There is a maker conference in Atlanta where you can go to talk to other you tubers. Find out about equipment, what it takes to produce interesting content and how to build your channel so it become a money maker rather than a drain.
Good luck and let us know you channel name, I will subscribe, there see one subscriber and you do not have a channel yet! :p