Jig Saw vs. Scroll Saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Jig Saw vs. Scroll Saw

Post by Spooner »

I have a 1958 SS Jigsaw that is in pretty bad shape. I have thought about restoring it and using it however I'm not sure it's worth my effort. It appears that parts are hard to find and the way I understand it it only cuts one direction. Where the Scroll Saw cuts both directions.

What has been your experiences with the SS Jigsaw? Is it a valuable tool or has it become outdated and obsolete leaning more toward the new Scroll Saw?

Let me know your thoughts.
woodnut
Bronze Member

Re: Jig Saw vs. Scroll Saw

Post by woodnut »

I have both. An old jigsaw and the scroll saw. For the work I do either one works fine.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

We have both here. My wife is the scroller. She started using the jig saw 8 or 10 Years ago. Then a Teal stand alone scroll saw showed up in the local classified adds. It was in like new condition for $150. That is what she uses all the time now. She does use the jigsaw with the small flexible sanding strips when internal sanding is needed on her scroll work.

I would say if you are going to do serious scroll sawing (like lots of projects regularly) the scroll saw is the way to go. For occasional use the jig saw is probably adequate.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

First just so we don't get confused.... the shopsmith jig saw is driven in one direction and spring returned. The blade is installed so the driven stroke does the cutting. This also means that the saw can be used for blades in just the driven part of the saw and the arm not used or removed. It also is designed to holed files or you can make your own sandpaper sanders out of Popsicle stick.

The scroll saw has two arms that moved the blade up and down and you have to have a blade installed between the arms for it to work. In this case the blade is driven in both directions. Blades can not be installed on just one arm.

Most times the blades teeth are such that it cuts in the one direction and clears waste in the other, most blades don't cut in both directions (there are exceptions).

I too have both. The scroll saw can use smaller blades so for most applications that require finer cuts that is the way to go but the jig saw still works for other places where a larger blade might just be more useful.

If I were to do it over again I would not buy the gray shopsmith scroll saw I have. Yes it works and better after the upgrades but still not up to what is available in the market now a days.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have both and use both of them. Each has it's uses that it is best suited for as described by the others. Besides woodworking projects, I have used my Jig Saw for cutting and filing metal. Most recent was making a replacement electrical cover plate for an A. O. Smith 3/4 HP Motor. Previously I made a replacement Splitter for the Blade Guard on my Model 10E S/N 1077 restoration. I could not simply buy a used one for it since the very early splitters had a narrower strip between the knife edge and the slot. See a picture of it on the Jig Saw table below, it is the one on the left. I was able to do some of the cutting for both of these projects as well as filing on the Jig Saw. I have quite a few of the files for the Jig Saw. Another thing it can be used for.

As for getting replacement parts, you are correct, it is getting harder to find them. If you need a replacement gasket you can make one. We talked about that in a previous post. I am not sure if any parts are still available from Shopsmith but you can search for them by the part number to find out. You will need a later parts list with the six digit numbers most starting with 5 and not the numbers in the manual from the 50's if you have one of those. Parts do come available at online auctions from time to time. The only change to the Jig Saw from it's introduction in 1954 until it was discontinued was a change in the table tilt lock for which you can buy the parts locally. It was a change to an Allen Wrench Cap Screw and Washer from the original Trunnion Bolt Assembly of the Knob, Threaded Stud and Washer.
IMG_1402cr.jpg
IMG_1402cr.jpg (280.36 KiB) Viewed 11386 times
Shown in the picture above is a splitter for the very early 10E (version 1) on the left and the later 10ER (version 3) splitter on the right being made. I had a later Upper Blade Guard without a splitter so I was making one for it too.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Now hang on a sec Ed... The Jig Saw is able to do other stuff besides just sawing? What else is it able to do? Or did you mention all it's applications? Would I have to use just SS Jig Saw blades or will any blades work? And tell me more about these files? Are those a SS product made just for the Jig Saw?
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Chapmanruss... You are able to cut metal with the Jig Saw? I had no idea you could that with that tool. Like I asked Ed... what else can the SS Jig Saw do? I mean this kind of changes things. It almost sounds like it would be better to have both saws depending on what you want to use it for. Now these Files... These were made by SS?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Spooner wrote:Chapmanruss... You are able to cut metal with the Jig Saw? I had no idea you could that with that tool. Like I asked Ed... what else can the SS Jig Saw do? I mean this kind of changes things. It almost sounds like it would be better to have both saws depending on what you want to use it for. Now these Files... These were made by SS?
Yes the files were made by SS. There were 5 different shapes. They come up on eBay from time to time. They clamp into the lower blade clamp.

As for blades, both the jig saw and the scroll saw use plain end 5" blades. That is what all (most?) scroll saws use so any brand blade will work. My wife likes Flying Dutchman brand. There are metal cutting blades available.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

jsburger wrote:There are metal cutting blades available.
Like small scroll saw type blades? Can you send me a link to some? Just curious what they look like.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have what I think is the original set of 6. This is the box and set:
files6.jpg
files6.jpg (176.39 KiB) Viewed 11362 times
Back in the early 80's I was able to get this one from shopsmith:
file1.jpg
file1.jpg (159.97 KiB) Viewed 11362 times
It is a little more course then the one in the set.

They had more but I only got around to ordering one and when I tried to get them another time I could find them so I guessed they went away. So you will have to shop around to find them.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]