Stand

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chrisj796
Bronze Member

Stand

Post by chrisj796 »

After a few years on the back burner I finish what was going to be the stand for my 10E.
I saw a similar looking stand being used as a garden decoration down the block from my house. After about a year of wondering I asked the homeowner if I could take a look an low an behold it’s a original stand he said one of his friends bought at a yard sell in the 80’s an he thought it looked like a good garden bench. Long story short I am swapping him the stand I made for the original an will restore it.
Here is a photo of the one I built, measures the same as original just heavier metal as legs an no wheels.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Stand

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

You sure had me fooled ... until I read your post, I didn’t realize that the one in the pic was a replica. The mind boggles at the odds of finding an original in a neighbor’s garden!
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I certainly see nothing wrong with the replica... :cool: :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Your replica looks great and until I looked closer I would have taken it for an original. The give away is the bolt locations for the wood top. Of course someone could have drilled new hole locations in an original bench.

I have what looks like original Metal Bench Ends that came with a Model 10ER but were made out of galvanized metal and are about an inch taller. I have made simple angle iron bench ends with locking casters for five of my restorations as shown below on 10E S/N 8865. The other restorations either came with metal bench ends or I purchased them except one that came on a nice wood storage cabinet. Some of the wood benches they have come on have been interesting. A few came without any bench.
10E 8865 r.jpg
10E 8865 r.jpg (134.14 KiB) Viewed 6613 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chrisj796
Bronze Member

Post by chrisj796 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:You sure had me fooled ... until I read your post, I didn’t realize that the one in the pic was a replica. The mind boggles at the odds of finding an original in a neighbor’s garden!

Seriously lol it’s 5 houses down the block an I had seen it from the street countless times before I noticed the similarity.
chrisj796
Bronze Member

Post by chrisj796 »

chapmanruss wrote:Your replica looks great and until I looked closer I would have taken it for an original. The give away is the bolt locations for the wood top. Of course someone could have drilled new hole locations in an original bench.

I have what looks like original Metal Bench Ends that came with a Model 10ER but were made out of galvanized metal and are about an inch taller. I have made simple angle iron bench ends with locking casters for five of my restorations as shown below on 10E S/N 8865. The other restorations either came with metal bench ends or I purchased them except one that came on a nice wood storage cabinet. Some of the wood benches they have come on have been interesting. A few came without any bench.
10E 8865 r.jpg
That looks great, I got mine from my uncle who’s father bought it back in the early 50’s at a yard sale. He thinks he remembered it had a solid wood stand that rotted away but other than the stand he gave me all the manuals an shopsmith project books ect...