What would you keep?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

What would you keep?

Post by bainin »

Having a deck redone and the old deck is creating quite a pile of used lumber.
I'm standing there looking at it- but just don't have any ideas on things I could do with it .... just started 2020 and I'm outta ideas already .

I think the 4x4 chunks- I could use as an entry into the lathe capability on SS. Haven't tried that yet !
IMG_20200124_143300830_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200124_143300830_HDR.jpg (127.75 KiB) Viewed 14288 times
Actually- Here's the deck redo- way beyond my abilities-but these guys are doing a great job . Watching them, I wish I had a summer to spare and go do grunt work with them to learn the tricks. Get over my fear of knocking holes in buildings :)

They show up with minimal tools..a table saw, a circular saw, nail gun, plumb lines, a square and a level, I think i saw a cordless router as well.
IMG_20200124_143308472_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200124_143308472_HDR.jpg (178.18 KiB) Viewed 14288 times

b
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: What would you keep?

Post by RFGuy »

bainin wrote:Having a deck redone and the old deck is creating quite a pile of used lumber.
I'm standing there looking at it- but just don't have any ideas on things I could do with it .... just started 2020 and I'm outta ideas already .

I think the 4x4 chunks- I could use as an entry into the lathe capability on SS. Haven't tried that yet !

b
The new deck is starting to look really nice! Some on the forum here will likely disagree with this, but for me, I would toss all of the old lumber in that pile. From the pics, it looks like it is all pressure treated lumber. The chemicals in pressure treated lumber are toxic (of course some exotic wood species are toxic too). I try not to use pressure treated lumber, if I can. The few outdoor projects that I have done, I decided to use redwood instead to keep pressure treated out of my shop. If you do decide to keep and reuse some of the old lumber, just make sure you use a good quality respirator for protection. Some of it may not be pressure treated but a lot of what I see in the pic appears to be.

Hope you enjoy the new deck soon...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

Well, those 4x4s (of 6x6s, whatever they are) can be useful for turning even if they are toxic: Stick them under the legs of the Shopsmith. Those extra few inches of height will make your lathe more comfortable to use.

But, yeah, other than that, that old mess of pressure treated wood is more a liability than a treasure.
mellowmarshmellow
Silver Member

Post by mellowmarshmellow »

I share your fear of knocking holes in the wall...I don't want an expensive mistake/eyesore reminding me of my chutzpah every day!

As for the pressure treated wood, I agree with the others.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I don't think I'd burn the treated stuff, either.
charlesw
Silver Member

Post by charlesw »

Yes they appear to be doing great work. Do you mind posting a completed pic? Not sure where you live, but are you using windows, or screen?
Charles
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

What would I keep? All of it! What should've I kept? None of it.
Years from now after moving the junk around numerous times I would kick myself in the butt and probably then get rid of it.

Do yourself a favor learn from an old man throw the stuff away or to someone that has a use for scrap lumber. :)
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Thanks everyone - I had forgotten that this stuff would be chemically treated for outdoor use and pose an extra "danger" on turning it into dust. I'm glad I asked.

I had them drag it all away.

For the windows- I think we opted for EZBreeze 3 season windows.

I heard from the wife that it is near completion at this point [except for the windows], and she seems happy-so mission accomplished. When I get back next week I'll send an updated photo.

regards,

b
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Ok- I'm back - and the deck is nearing completion now.
deck1.jpg
deck1.jpg (147.14 KiB) Viewed 13376 times
deck2.jpg
deck2.jpg (140.5 KiB) Viewed 13376 times
Still some staining to be done..
deck3.jpg
deck3.jpg (129.71 KiB) Viewed 13376 times
deck4.jpg
deck4.jpg (197.33 KiB) Viewed 13376 times
The way they've run the drains means I will have to redo the underground drainage in the backyard and also add a paver walkway from the steps around to right where my woodshop door is.

In some of the photos you can see my neighbors "ax throwing target" heh...i guess we all have our hobbies...
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Very nice! Also, I like the diagonal layout.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor