Trying to find a good home for my father's 1955 Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

NavyGeo
Bronze Member

Trying to find a good home for my father's 1955 Shopsmith

Post by NavyGeo »

Hello, my name is Rick. A few years ago my father gave me his ShopSmith Mk V when I moved from Washington State to Alabama. He bought it in the '80s when he and my mother were living in Central California. After moving up to Washington State, and after putting Mom to rest, he decided he was getting older and just didn't use it anymore.
I brought it and it's accessories with me, but have never been able to find anyplace that had the room to let me use it. I recently got the opportunity to move back west, and I asked my father if he'd like me to bring it back to him. He told me no, that he'd never use it again; he said he'd rather it go to someone who would actually make things with it.
So...I am wondering if you good people might a)identify what all I have, b)give me a fair value of what I have, and c)help me find someone who will take good care of it and get good use out of it. I'm providing photographs. According to the Serial Number on the Headstock(SN# 296305) this is a 1955 Shopsmith Mk V 500.
Thanks so much for any help you can give. If no one has any interest in purchasing it I'll find a place in the trailer and take it back west!

This is a picture of the SN:

These are pictures of the Shopsmith:

And these are pictures of the accessories:

Rick, Phenix City, AL
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Trying to find a good home for my father's 1955 Shopsmith

Post by JPG »

Unfortunately the resale value of an almost 65 year old ShopSmith is nowhere near it's value to one who understands what it is and what it can do. Going rate is geographically dependent.

You will be more successful seeing that it goes to one who appreciates and will actually use it by mentioning it here as you have done as well as at the SS facebook forum(?). Selling on e-bay or craig'slist will not likely be successful(that geography thing again).

I am curious how you got the main table mounted backwards. Has the carriage been installed backwards? *

* Never mind! I now see the table is NOT mounted in the carriage(which is now in the basket of 'stuff'). It will 'sell' better fully assembled. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

I think there are two carriages ... one mounted backwards (relative to the headstock, which has been turned around) and another in the box.

At first I thought the table was reversed, but then I saw the knob for securing the unit in drill press mode. The headstock has been reversed.
Attachments
DVoCBMp.jpg
DVoCBMp.jpg (82.67 KiB) Viewed 11597 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

The headstock is definitely backwards, and the headstock on the wrong side of the carriage.

Envision lifting the system into drill press position and the quill and drill chuck would be pointing towards the ceiling, not the floor.

Some operation that the original owner may have prompted them to run it that way, but it is indeed backwards on the way tubes.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

And the main table is NOT mounted into the carriage either.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
NavyGeo
Bronze Member

Post by NavyGeo »

Thanks for the responses! I’ll correct the erroneous assembly. Is it possible that the unit is reversed to facilitate mounting the Planer?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

NavyGeo wrote:Thanks for the responses! I’ll correct the erroneous assembly. Is it possible that the unit is reversed to facilitate mounting the Planer?
You have a jointer, not a planer. Regardless the 'misassembly' does not affect the jointer mounting.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

NavyGeo
Bronze Member

Post by NavyGeo »

Again, thank to each of you who has responded. Since many of you have been so helpful with letting me know correct installations, I've decided to bring the Shopsmith to my carport from storage and I'm going to attempt to get everything fitted correctly, and to make an area to keep extras.
With luck I'll have it home on Sunday or Monday. After that I'll give it a good cleaning/servicing and then I'll send some better photographs.
bambisagucio
Bronze Member

Post by bambisagucio »

Good luck with finding someone willing to pay money for it. I’ve been trying to sell one for years.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

bambisagucio wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:56 am Good luck with finding someone willing to pay money for it. I’ve been trying to sell one for years.
Hmmm...
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT