Extension Tube Option

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rbucket
Silver Member

Extension Tube Option

Post by rbucket »

Good Morning!

It's been a while since I posted, but I sure use the info you guys share. Thank you!

Has anybody used 3/4" Black Steel Pipe like the box stores sell? The OD is 1.05", and the price is very low. $11.95 for 6 Ft length at Home Depot.

If you've used it, have there been any problems?

Thank you!
MKV 510 (August 1989)
Power Station (2)
Scroll Saw
Band Saw
Edge Sander
Jointer
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Extension Tube Option

Post by JPG »

rbucket wrote:Good Morning!

It's been a while since I posted, but I sure use the info you guys share. Thank you!

Has anybody used 3/4" Black Steel Pipe like the box stores sell? The OD is 1.05", and the price is very low. $11.95 for 6 Ft length at Home Depot.

If you've used it, have there been any problems?

Thank you!
Used on what?(early 510,late 510,520/7)

Kinda heavy and sorta rough finish. Kinda 'whippy' also.

I think I would prefer galvanized(new stuff that appears to actually be plated).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The primary function being to "tie the tables together" I find that rigid conduit works well.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rbucket
Silver Member

Post by rbucket »

Thanks

I'll take a look at those two options.
MKV 510 (August 1989)
Power Station (2)
Scroll Saw
Band Saw
Edge Sander
Jointer
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

A few years ago I bought two of these for extension tubes. The price is higher than it was back then, but the quality is tops.
https://www.grainger.com/product/Tubing ... Pid=search
rbucket
Silver Member

Post by rbucket »

I'll look into those also

Thank you
MKV 510 (August 1989)
Power Station (2)
Scroll Saw
Band Saw
Edge Sander
Jointer
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Rigid (metal) conduit is essentially galvanized iron pipe.

Ya gonna mention thine JSB?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Rigid (metal) conduit is essentially galvanized iron pipe.

Ya gonna mention thine JSB?
Oh my. I just went through 2 days of h**l. My router died. The new one works fine but lots of work getting everything back on line and still not 100% but close.

Yes, Metals Depot Stainless Steel Tube with 1/8" wall thickness. Very heavy and straight. I bought 2 6' lengths. I just checked and a 6' length is $50.72. I have two fixed extension tables and 4 floating tables. The 6' tubes allow two floating tables to be installed outboard of the fixed extension tables.

Can't find the picture now, Argh!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Black iron pipe is heavy for connector tubing, but I remember reading online that at least one person did this for their Mark V. I believe it is a little oversize as-is, so they removed the black paint which brought it down to 1" OD. I don't remember what they used to prevent rust. Are you looking for a cheaper solution than what Shopsmith sells or are you looking for a more rigid solution (to prevent flex, etc.)? I have also heard of people going to their local metal supply store and buying 1" OD anodized aluminum tubing for like $8 for 6' length, I think (don't know if they had any alignment issues or if the aluminum flexed on them). An older thread on connector tubing is below:

https://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintena ... 19880.html
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:Black iron pipe is heavy for connector tubing, but I remember reading online that at least one person did this for their Mark V. I believe it is a little oversize as-is, so they removed the black paint which brought it down to 1" OD. I don't remember what they used to prevent rust. Are you looking for a cheaper solution than what Shopsmith sells or are you looking for a more rigid solution (to prevent flex, etc.)? I have also heard of people going to their local metal supply store and buying 1" OD anodized aluminum tubing for like $8 for 6' length, I think (don't know if they had any alignment issues or if the aluminum flexed on them). An older thread on connector tubing is below:

https://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintena ... 19880.html
The pictures of my stainless tubes are in this thread.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT