Is there more interest in Kreg pocket hole stuff?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Is there more interest in Kreg pocket hole stuff?

Post by reible »

If you happen to have built something and noticed it not quite holding up and want to use the kreg jig to add some pocket holes..... well the first thing you might notice is that you don't have access to the joint the way you would on a new project. In this drawing you want to add pockets to part A:
ks40.jpg
ks40.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 10751 times
You might have to use your imagination a bit here but think of the table top as part B and the wood will play the part of part A.
ks40a.jpg
ks40a.jpg (100.15 KiB) Viewed 10751 times
As you have been following along it is obvious that the material thickness needs to play a part in where the drill guide goes. For this application it is no different. To deal with this we can first look at the "base" of the jig where there are some dovetail areas.
ks41.jpg
ks41.jpg (63.85 KiB) Viewed 10751 times
So it is reasonable to think that something must fit in those dovetails.
ks42.jpg
ks42.jpg (71.32 KiB) Viewed 10751 times
They give you one of these spacers so you have no spacers being good for 1/2" materials and add the spacer for 3/4" material. If for some reason you need to have work with thicker material they of course sell more spacers. I ended up getting the extras but have never actually used them.
ks43.jpg
ks43.jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 10751 times
Now you will also have to clamp the jig in place. Any clamp that will fit will work but if you can't get a clamp on then there is another option. They provide a hole where a screw can be inserted, do be aware of that screws length unless it OK to add a through hole...
ks44.jpg
ks44.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 10751 times
Up next will be a small project. Once that is finished I have just a few other odds and ends to go over and we will be done except for questions and comments.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Very interesting, Ed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I am in the class so keep going!
So am I!

Been having trouble logging in over the last few days.... :confused:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I am enjoying this too. But before you conclude your tutorial I would like your opinion of how pocket screw joints compare to dowel joints when using a good jig for both ease of implementation as well as strength.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

I am enjoying this very thorough presentation. Thanks for putting it together, Ed. Really good information.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

sehast wrote:I am enjoying this too. But before you conclude your tutorial I would like your opinion of how pocket screw joints compare to dowel joints when using a good jig for both ease of implementation as well as strength.
I'm not Ed so, it's JMO that pocket screws are plenty strong and a heckuva lot easier than dowels. I'll sometimes use dowels, but only to add decor to a project.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’d like to add my thanks for this tutorial thread as well, Ed. I’ve already learned a lot about pocket-hole jig variants that I never knew existed. I’m also eager to hear your thoughts on joinery options, and testing.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Sorry a little behind today. We can cover a few other things but the project will have to wait.

One thing I wanted to show is the interesting method kreg has to hold the clamp in place on the portable jig. The arrow points to the built in twist cam, there is another on the other side. Having the clamp attached makes it easier to use most of the time.
ks46.jpg
ks46.jpg (99.97 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
The project:
ks45.jpg
ks45.jpg (64.55 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
It's not much but at least I can show some real pocket hole joints.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Since I wanted to use some cut offs and scraps for this project I had to make a few changes and you will see them as they happen.

I had enough 1 x 4's to do the sides and back but not enough for the top. This is how I planned to make it:
p1.jpg
p1.jpg (128.54 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
Now it's time to set up the jig, some of this will look familiar by now. The wood is 3/4" thick so the jig is set for 3/4".
p2.jpg
p2.jpg (61.59 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
The collar is then adjusted for the material:
p3.jpg
p3.jpg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
We haven't discussed this before but this jig also provides for chip collection. In this shot you can see it hooked up. You do end up getting some chips coming out the drill area but it does a pretty good job.
p4.jpg
p4.jpg (129.55 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
The clamp needs to adjusted so it holds the stock nice and tight. Then it time to make some pocket holes. You can measure to get the hole locations but it pretty easy to just align the stock to the jig. Since the stock is 3-1/2" wide I use the A and C holes on the jig.
p5.jpg
p5.jpg (104.27 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
The results:
p6.jpg
p6.jpg (97.24 KiB) Viewed 10594 times
Next I will be drilling the pocket holes to hold the top on.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had a piece of 1/2" plywood that was wide enough but not as long as I would have liked, but hey sometimes you just go with what you have,

The same side parts that got the pocket holes will get the pocket holes to attach the top. Just because I can I switched to the micro jig. This way you can see the reduction on pocket size on a real cut. I did a set of marks that would result in having 3 pockets per side.

So you can see just how what happens if you don't use the chip collector this is the results of drill 6 holes with the micro jig.
p7.jpg
p7.jpg (146.62 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
Here is a shot of the the standard jig and the micro jig pocket holes.
p8.jpg
p8.jpg (99.63 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
These are the two pieces with all the pocket holes drilled.
p9.jpg
p9.jpg (135.67 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
For this application we know that the joints holding the 1 x 4's will need screws but we have not yet talked about which ones. We also know that the top being only 1/2" thick and have micro jig holes will need a different screw.

So we know it is soft wood, pine perhaps so the course thread is called for. Length wise 1-1/4" will do. As far as finish, it is just going to live in the shop so the standard zinc finish will do fine.

The micro jig requires that pan head screws are needed. The plywood could take a course screw but I don't have any so fine thread will be use. As far as length go we need 1". They only come in zinc so no choice there.

At this point it is time to drive the screws in. When drilling with a portable drill with a speed range you want it set to high, drilling the screws you need to set it back to low range. As a possible reference I have my dill set to #13 but it is a good idea to test each time you set up. This the joint with the screws driven in. You will no doubt notice that the pockets are on the outside. They can go either way depending on what might be exposed or need to be smooth or is more visually appealing.
p10.jpg
p10.jpg (141.99 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
After installing the 4 screws it time to attach the top. Here you can see how I clamped it up to put the screws in.
p11.jpg
p11.jpg (100.51 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
Here is one of the pan head screws driven in:
p12.jpg
p12.jpg (95.9 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
Flip it over and make sure no screws have come through........ yep good to go.
p13.jpg
p13.jpg (110.18 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
Had I not been working on the post I would have just got out my nailer and put this together as it would have been faster but hey what I don't do for education.

Ed