lathe duplicator

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rele
Gold Member

Post by rele »

is there a specific name for this part only? The circled part? That can't be the entire duplicator part, worth $461 on shopsmith.com.....can it? Obviously in the package includes the mounts etc.. but ya.

I borrowed the image and circled it from a post in this thread. I am thinking of having a metal machining friend build me one instead of buying as I am cheap, LOL! I think I can build the guide etc. myself.
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

rele wrote:is there a specific name for this part only? The circled part? That can't be the entire duplicator part, worth $461 on shopsmith.com.....can it? Obviously in the package includes the mounts etc.. but ya.

I borrowed the image and circled it from a post in this thread. I am thinking of having a metal machining friend build me one instead of buying as I am cheap, LOL! I think I can build the guide etc. myself.
That's my lathe duplicator. As stated earlier, It was made by a previous owner so you can't buy one even if you wanted to. Your machinist friend can easily make one though.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
redleg
Gold Member

Re: lathe duplicator

Post by redleg »

Found a Rand lathe duplicator on CL last week. The ebay link doesn't work any longer so here is one as purchased used. Had to replace a spring, repair the crank handle, and replace a couple of snap rings. No manual included and possibly missing template brackets. Spindle holders are attached to the mounts. I haven't tried making anything yet.
Rand Lathe Duplicator for Shopsmith.jpg
Rand Lathe Duplicator for Shopsmith.jpg (20.75 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
Mounted on a Shopsmith Mark 7
Mounted on a Shopsmith Mark 7
IMG_0378.JPG (119.86 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG (123.07 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
Name is on the bottom of support
Name is on the bottom of support
IMG_0381.JPG (61.77 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
From the backside
From the backside
IMG_0382.JPG (130.95 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Nice! I didn't even know there were aftermarket lathe duplicators that would readily attach to the Mark V. That RAND unit looks very stout. Let us know how it works out...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Post by SkullsquadronX »

That looks like a great fine, clean and sturdy. I like it and good luck with it.