10ER Speed Changer Repair.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: 10ER Speed Changer Repair.

Post by everettdavis »

Glad you got it fixed. I have a spool gun and aluminum wire but I have not done a speed changer yet.

I have a buddy Jody who has a site weldingtipsandtricks.com who has a video on how he did an aluminum intake manifold. Like cast iron, sometime aluminum takes some preheating to make it a good weld.

Follow the link and watch his procedure on this type of repair if you're a welding enthusiast. Jody is a true pro and offers a great volume of free videos on welding should someone in the forums be contemplating this.

Three parts including Tig... watch all of them

I think the challenge may be in the aluminum alloy mix MAGNA used in the 1940's early 1950's compared to what we do today.

Everett
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... ntake.html
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

Thanks Everett,
I will definitely check out that site.
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

Hi Guy's,
Well here's the update of the update! Picked up the speed changer today from the welder and I'll say I'm very impressed! Kevin (the welder) did a very good job welding the ear back on the SC frame. He also pointed out that the aluminum alloy was a lot different back then as it is today, as Everett pointed out in his last reply on this posting. So here are the pictures of the repair. I'll end up cleaning the weld so it looks better then this before painting. Enjoy!! :)
Dave V.
Attachments
Speed Changer Repair 1.
Speed Changer Repair 1.
Speed Changer Repair 1.JPG (460.32 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
Speed Changer Repair 2.
Speed Changer Repair 2.
Speed Changer Repair 2.JPG (178.99 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
Speed Changer Repair 3.
Speed Changer Repair 3.
Speed Changer Repair 3.JPG (364.98 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
Speed Changer Repair 4.
Speed Changer Repair 4.
Speed Changer Repair 4.JPG (190.69 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
Speed Changer Repair 5.
Speed Changer Repair 5.
Speed Changer Repair 5.JPG (234.54 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Looking good. :)

If you remount the crank rod on the left (pulley) side of the ears it will move it away from the headstock lock lever so they don't interfere with each other . ;)

SCasembled2.JPG
SCasembled2.JPG (279.67 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would leave the weld as is. 'Cleaning it up will do nothing to improve it's function and might weaken the 'fix'..

Looks good to me!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have seen lots of speed changers for sale that are broken but have never paid attention. Is it always the same ear that breaks? Too bad the 10ER didn't last long enough for Magna to maybe fix the problem. Gorilla operators not withstanding! :eek: :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:I have seen lots of speed changers for sale that are broken but have never paid attention. Is it always the same ear that breaks? Too bad the 10ER didn't last long enough for Magna to maybe fix the problem. Gorilla operators not withstanding! :eek: :D

Not 'always'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:I have seen lots of speed changers for sale that are broken but have never paid attention. Is it always the same ear that breaks? Too bad the 10ER didn't last long enough for Magna to maybe fix the problem. Gorilla operators not withstanding! :eek: :D

Not 'always'.
It just amazes me that someone would crank on the handle hard enough to break one of the ears. After all they are not that light weight.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT