Model ER

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donjenne
Bronze Member

Model ER

Post by donjenne »

I just bought a model ER what are the differences between the 10er and er S/N is ER28240 So is there any other info I could get Is the owners manual the same between the er10 and 10?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Model ER

Post by jsburger »

donjenne wrote:I just bought a model ER what are the differences between the 10er and er S/N is ER28240 So is there any other info I could get Is the owners manual the same between the er10 and 10?
Your ER is a Model 10. They are all Model 10ER. Magna just left the 10 off of the ID plate at one time. Russ will chime in with the specific details.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
donjenne
Bronze Member

Post by donjenne »

Thank you, I was wondering.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Okay, I guess I have to chime in with the details. The Shopsmith Model 10E was the original 5 in 1 tool made by Magna Engineering Corporation, the company formed to make it by the inventor and his partners. As changes occurred and at some point they decided to call it the 10ER. Looking at the three versions of the Logo/Serial Number plate the 10E and ER are the same except the model number on it and of course the serial numbers. When they changed to the 10ER, I believe instead of redesigning the Logo Plate to make 10ER fit they simply changed 10E to ER. The later version of the Logo/Serial Number Plate has 10ER on it. The E, ER and R prefix for the serial numbers are a different matter.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
BruceHill
Bronze Member

Post by BruceHill »

Thanks for this info Russ. I just joined this forum on behalf of my 86 year old Dad who is in the process of restoring an ER that he bought on an auction here in South Africa. His S/N is R36687. He says there are a few parts that are missing but he is trying to remake them. We are not in the same town so I haven't seen the unit and he is not up to using cell phones and cameras so have not even seen pictures of it. Perhaps after the lockdown here is over I will take a drive to see him and get a few photos and a progress update.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

BruceHill,

Welcome to the Forum. Please feel free to share information found here with your father. There is a lot of information on use, maintenance and restoring the Shopsmith tools. If he needs a Manual for his Model 10ER it can be found in PDF format on this site. Check under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. On his google drive is a heading for the Model 10's. There is a 10ER PDF Manual there. You may want to check out some of the other related information in other headings too. Hopefully your father's Model 10ER is fairly complete as parts would be harder to get in South Africa. If he has any questions just ask and pictures can be very helpful in explaining what is being asked. There are a lot of members with experience working on the Shopsmith Model 10's. I have restored 19 Model 10E's and 10ER's so far and am working on two more. We would love to have more information on your fathers Model 10ER, like the serial number and any extras it has, since it traveled so far from the US.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.