Worm gear question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Beemerider
Bronze Member

Worm gear question

Post by Beemerider »

I've been getting an education bringing to life a 60's vintage Mark V that belonged to my Dad. For various reasons it was stored (protected) for about 20 yrs. In going thru and trying to learn the machine I found I needed to work on the speed control. I've replaced the quadrant, control bracket and the button/bearing. I guess in the process of moving the worm gear from the old bracket to the new I've lost the spring washer. I have an idea of it's purpose but with the flat washer and keeper clip installed I really don't see (or feel)enough movement in the worm gear shaft to allow another washer to fit below the flat washer and allow me to get the keeper clip installed. This spring washer must be incredibly thin? Does this allow very slight movement to keep the worm gear from binding against the quadrant teeth?

I've ordered a replacement washer (geez.....hate paying $12.21 for a 15 cent washer)

Dad always said it costs money to go to school.

Wayne Bowyer
Staunton, Va
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Worm gear question

Post by garys »

I hope you have better luck than I did. I tried to replace just the quadrant gear and reuse the old worm gear. It didn't fit any better on the new quadrant than it did on the old worn out one. I then ordered a new worm gear and it worked smoothly on the new quadrant. The worm gear apparently had as much wear as the quadrant, but it isn't as easy to see on the worm gear.
You likely will have to replace both gears as a set.