Woodworking Customer Humor

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lahola1
Gold Member

Re: Woodworking Customer Humor

Post by lahola1 »

I had a problem with firefox that when I searched on google (my default search engine) it automatically switched to yahoo search engine. I finally found the problem in my firefox add ons.
I would look there for anything suspicious; something you don't think you added as an addon.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:
reible wrote:Sorry to say but this sounds just like the Blue Underline Links adware situation.

Look it up and then figure out which program is the one that installed it and get rid of it. More then likely something you installed on both of your computers. You may have to do some other steps to rid the computers of the issue.

Ed
Dusty,

I never heard of this because I haven't seen it first hand. However, I did a quick Google search based on Ed's suggestion here. "Blue Underline Links adware" is also called "in-text advertising". I found some suggestions at the link below. When you hover over one of those places where you see one of those ads, is there a little "?" symbol? If so, it should be possible to opt out of these annoying ads. I am including a pic below of the description for how to remove them. I hope this helps.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... cecom-etc/

in_text_ads.jpg
All well and good but it seems to me a better solution is rid your computer of the software that is causing it in the first place. The other thing is running paid for anti-virus and malware software that provides real time always on protection. I have run premium versions of ESETNOD 32 and Malwarebytes for years and have never had a problem. I have now upgraded to ESET Internet Security. I run paid versions of both of these programs on all three of my home computers and both of our phones.

There is also a Malwarebytes add-on for Firefox that blocks Ads and trackers, malware, scams and PUP's. Then there is the built in Firefox tracking blockers mentioned above.

Set these programs with automatic scans at least daily and they provide a whole lot of protection. There is no guarantee but I have been using ESETNOD and Malwarebytes for over 10 years and have never had a problem.

YMMV of course.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote:
All well and good but it seems to me a better solution is rid your computer of the software that is causing it in the first place. The other thing is running paid for anti-virus and malware software that provides real time always on protection. I have run premium versions of ESETNOD 32 and Malwarebytes for years and have never had a problem. I have now upgraded to ESET Internet Security. I run paid versions of both of these programs on all three of my home computers and both of our phones.

There is also a Malwarebytes add-on for Firefox that blocks Ads and trackers, malware, scams and PUP's. Then there is the built in Firefox tracking blockers mentioned above.

Set these programs with automatic scans at least daily and they provide a whole lot of protection. There is no guarantee but I have been using ESETNOD and Malwarebytes for over 10 years and have never had a problem.

YMMV of course.
John,

Yeah, I agree with you; that is a good practice. From the sounds of it, this is a type of adware which a lot of antivirus and malware programs don't catch unfortunately. I have run Lavasoft's Adaware in the past with good results, but I only used it when I found a problem on someone's computer I was trying to fix. Keep in mind, I think Dusty mentioned that he has this problem on a tablet as well as a PC, so the ad tracking is likely following his browser profile between devices...so I don't know if he can just fix this one by running "xyz" antivirus/malware/adware program.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:
jsburger wrote:

YMMV of course.
John,

Yeah, I agree with you; that is a good practice. From the sounds of it, this is a type of adware which a lot of antivirus and malware programs don't catch unfortunately. I have run Lavasoft's Adaware in the past with good results, but I only used it when I found a problem on someone's computer I was trying to fix. Keep in mind, I think Dusty mentioned that he has this problem on a tablet as well as a PC, so the ad tracking is likely following his browser profile between devices...so I don't know if he can just fix this one by running "xyz" antivirus/malware/adware program.
I guess I agree, but if one runs premium (not free) antivirus/malware/adware programs the chance of this happening are greatly reduced. Tracking is why I have all tracking turned off as much as it can be. i.e., when I bring up the Home Depot web site it wants to know my location to provide local ads. I always tell FF do not allow and I do the same thing for all other web sites that do the same thing.

The problem is that none of us peons know what is really happening or how to fix it. All I know is my paid for premium antivirus/malware software has kept me safe so far. BTW, when I first bought a Malwarebytes license (10+ years ago) it was an unlimited license for all devices. It is still true today. I have the Premium version installed on three computers and two phones and the "About" says the license never expires.

I recently upgraded ESETNOD 32 to ESET Internet Security and it was around $175 for 5 devices for 3 years. One thing I found over the years is that if ESET sends you an update/renewal email deal it is usually cheaper if you call them rather than upgrading or renewing on the internet.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Mjrinor
Gold Member

Post by Mjrinor »

Thanks for sharing, RF Guy- there were some good laughs and relatable content. One that got me was, "I've seen this exact thing at IKEA."

We had a couple over once, and she points to something I've made and says- "I've seen something just like that at [whatever store she was talking about]."
I was preparing drinks and stop midway in what I'm doing, frozen in place." My other half hears this ridiculous comparison and instinctively knows I'm about to respond....

I open my mouth to start my detailed rebuttal, and as I'm turning around I realize her eyes have narrowed in, as she delivers her silent, but very clear, warning....
Her eyes say: " no, no you are not about to hijack this dinner from the very start with all of the reasons why your build is NOTHING LIKE the one they saw at xyz-store, and I do not want you to follow that with an encore about gluing techniques, either."

I want you all to know I'm not a mind reader the rest of the time, don't bother asking for stockmarket secrets.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Mjrinor wrote:Thanks for sharing, RF Guy- there were some good laughs and relatable content. One that got me was, "I've seen this exact thing at IKEA."

We had a couple over once, and she points to something I've made and says- "I've seen something just like that at [whatever store she was talking about]."
I was preparing drinks and stop midway in what I'm doing, frozen in place." My other half hears this ridiculous comparison and instinctively knows I'm about to respond....

I open my mouth to start my detailed rebuttal, and as I'm turning around I realize her eyes have narrowed in, as she delivers her silent, but very clear, warning....
Her eyes say: " no, no you are not about to hijack this dinner from the very start with all of the reasons why your build is NOTHING LIKE the one they saw at xyz-store, and I do not want you to follow that with an encore about gluing techniques, either."

I want you all to know I'm not a mind reader the rest of the time, don't bother asking for stockmarket secrets.
Thanks. I am glad someone enjoyed the video that I posted. I have no affiliation with the guys or the company in the video, but they are local here in PHX. I just came across it and thought it was very relevant for us woodworkers. Definitely a lot of funny bits (pun intended) in that video...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I certainly enjoyed that video. When someone commented that they saw something at XYZ store like my work, I'd respond with "Yeah, but I'll bet they didn't have as much fun building it." After I started using mesquite a lot, nobody seems to make those comparisons. And, I have even more fun.
Mjrinor
Gold Member

Post by Mjrinor »

I think humor is important- so thanks for trying to inject a bit of it into the forum. Most everybody ought to relate to this in one way or another- except maybe those who are devoid of a funny bone, or don't comprehend/appreciate sarcasm.

When you inevitably glue/screw the wrong pieces of your project together, and you're on the precipice of chucking the whole thing in the bin and abandoning that idea altogether- being able to laugh about it prevents the latter from occurring (or at least it reduces the frequency of it), and you're probably going to return to the shop to start the process of chiseling/unscrewing them much sooner than if you were grumpy/angry about it. I imagine most of us thoroughly enjoy woodworking because it is brings us both pleasure, and a challenge- both of which are important to have in life. So, with that in mind- may we all find a way to maintain a sense of humor even during the "what the hell was I thinking of when i ......" moments in the shop.
Mjrinor
Gold Member

Post by Mjrinor »

In this scenario, I realized the other half did not want to hear my full, unabridged response I was more than prepared to deliver- so I ended up saying..... "well I guess they do sell tables at xyz store...but that's where the similarities end...."

I look over and the other half's eyes further narrowed and she deftly shut down this line of conversation by quickly interjecting... "so tell us all about your trip to Arizona...."

Perhaps I'll stick with your response in the future....it's bound to come up again, and it's less likely to precipitate, " the look...."

In the meantime, I shall look for a source for mesquite, as recommended.

Thanks, Gene!
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Semi related... I just noticed a couple of days ago that the Indianapolis Channel 13 WTHR (NBC) had a notice that Firefox had just been found to have a bad hole (my term, I forget what they called it) that made it very vulnerable to hackers. They said that Firefox had an update available to eliminate the risk and that you should use what ever method you normally use to update it. My Windows 10 laptop automatically does updates when I turn it on (which I sometimes find annoying as hell when I'm in a hurry to look something up quickly) but I have my Linux laptop set to update when I decide to so I checked and a new Firefox update was listed and I ran it.
Only slightly related to anything... :) An engineer friend was recently talking of trying a newish, secure, private browser called "Brave". I now have it on my android phone (from Google Play Store) and so far I like it. Seems much faster.
I also have it on my Windows 10 laptop but I don't use that one a lot. I can't put it on my Linux laptop because it is a little old and only 32 bit. So far Brave is only available for Linux for 64 bit units. It is also available for Mac.
For those that like to explore and tinker a bit, Google can tell you a lot about it. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill