Woodworking Customer Humor

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Woodworking Customer Humor

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:
RFGuy wrote:Dusty,

I don't see that all. It was a straight up YouTube link that I posted. There is nothing when I hover over it on the forum or when viewed on YouTube. Perhaps you can post a pic of what you are seeing. I would be happy to take down the link in my original post if it is a problem. The last thing I want to do is to post dangerous or mildly dangerous links that point somewhere else on the forum. We have enough spammers doing that for us.
Taking the link down is probably something you cannot do because you did not put it there. This same link to 16,000 wood working plans occurs many times and I am sure not just to you.
Ok. Thanks. Sorry, I misunderstood you and apologize for overreacting. Is it a function of what device you view the forum with? Just wondering if perhaps some malware is involved.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

Dusty,
I have hovered over the words in the original post that you have indicated. They are NOT underlined or refer to some link. I am using the same Firefox browser that you are. The version of mine is 72.0.1 (64 bit) which I understand is the most current.
Dick
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Maybe this points to some manifestation in my computer. In this very post from you the word link is in blue underlined and it redirects me to a site the provides for document conversion to PDF.

But then again it may be something similar to what is explained in this article. Except that the hyperlink that I experience is NOT when I type the words. The words are in someone else's post and I see them as hypertext.

http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/HyperlinkProbs.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:Maybe this points to some manifestation in my computer. In this very post from you the word link is in blue underlined and it redirects me to a site the provides for document conversion to PDF.

But then again it may be something similar to what is explained in this article. Except that the hyperlink that I experience is NOT when I type the words. The words are in someone else's post and I see them as hypertext.

Dusty you have a virus!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
dusty wrote:Maybe this points to some manifestation in my computer. In this very post from you the word link is in blue underlined and it redirects me to a site the provides for document conversion to PDF.

Dusty you have a virus!
Because of the tools that I run I doubt that Ed. I also doubt it because this occurs on my tablet as well. I do suspect though that it may be a bi-product of how I configure my computers (autotype, autocorrect, etc) or how I have my browser configured.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Sorry to say but this sounds just like the Blue Underline Links adware situation.

Look it up and then figure out which program is the one that installed it and get rid of it. More then likely something you installed on both of your computers. You may have to do some other steps to rid the computers of the issue.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

What scares me Ed is that I have done an awful lot of web browsing over the last two or three months - looking for vintage trailer parts. I could very easily gotten into something I will regret.

So far this has been nothing but a test of patience; an irritating nuisance. Hope it doesn't develop into something else.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Adware is designed to present ad's and as such they don't want to harm your computer. It is unlikely that it came from visiting a site but more likely to be added when you install something. The program may even tell you that it is adding something that sounds harmless and it is harmless but more of a pain in the you know where.

I noticed a few names of possible sources:

PDFPoof, BatBitRst, MessengerNow, SearchAd, MyPrintableCoupons, Reading Cursors, ProMediaConverter, PDFOnline-express, See Scenic Elf, Clickware, Easy Speedtest, or WebDiscover.

I'm sure there are more but I would start by looking for installed programs with these names or some other names that might not be something you remember installing.

It will also be something on both computers. And uninstalling might not be enough. Since it is not a virus per-say and often something you actually installed your protection software may not find it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:Adware is designed to present ad's and as such they don't want to harm your computer. It is unlikely that it came from visiting a site but more likely to be added when you install something. The program may even tell you that it is adding something that sounds harmless and it is harmless but more of a pain in the you know where.

I noticed a few names of possible sources:

PDFPoof, BatBitRst, MessengerNow, SearchAd, MyPrintableCoupons, Reading Cursors, ProMediaConverter, PDFOnline-express, See Scenic Elf, Clickware, Easy Speedtest, or WebDiscover.

I'm sure there are more but I would start by looking for installed programs with these names or some other names that might not be something you remember installing.

It will also be something on both computers. And uninstalling might not be enough. Since it is not a virus per-say and often something you actually installed your protection software may not find it.

Ed
I just finished running all of my protection software with NO revealing results. As you surmised, all of the offending popups are some sort of adware presentation.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:Sorry to say but this sounds just like the Blue Underline Links adware situation.

Look it up and then figure out which program is the one that installed it and get rid of it. More then likely something you installed on both of your computers. You may have to do some other steps to rid the computers of the issue.

Ed
Dusty,

I never heard of this because I haven't seen it first hand. However, I did a quick Google search based on Ed's suggestion here. "Blue Underline Links adware" is also called "in-text advertising". I found some suggestions at the link below. When you hover over one of those places where you see one of those ads, is there a little "?" symbol? If so, it should be possible to opt out of these annoying ads. I am including a pic below of the description for how to remove them. I hope this helps.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... cecom-etc/
in_text_ads.jpg
in_text_ads.jpg (94.54 KiB) Viewed 9861 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor