General Computer Question

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

General Computer Question

Post by berry »

I have an older computer running Windows 10 (at least I'm pretty sure it is). For many years I've used Firefox for a browser, always without issues. Last week I signed into the credit union to check activity (deposits, auto withdrawals etc.). The system would not let me view any of my statements. I called and after a discussion and trying a number of fixes (re-booting, etc. ) the person suggested I sign-out and try it with Chrome. Worked just fine. No issues.......then today I tried to look at and EOB, with my health insurer with Firefox and once again it wouldn't open. So I tried it with Chrome and bingo - worked fine. What's going on??????

Thanks for reading.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: General Computer Question

Post by garys »

What version of Firefox do you have on the machine. These browsers get updates so often that you almost can't keep up. And, if enough changes are made in an update, many sites no longer support the older versions. If you don't have the newest version, try updating to the newest one and maybe it will help.
From what I find, version 71.0 is the current version.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Check the version as Gary indicated, but I have found some websites are not compatible with all browsers. At previous companies that I worked at, often multiple browsers were required because one system is running a certain version of Oracle so you couldn't log into it with other browsers, etc. (some systems still require Internet Explorer to log into). I have had this happen to me personally as well. These days, I prefer Chrome, but I have spent a good bit of time on Firefox, Edge, Safari, etc. I tried placing an order from Rockler last year using Microsoft Edge browser and the website ran so slow and the cart wouldn't complete using it. Switched over to Chrome and no problems. On the PC side, the leading browsers are Chrome and Firefox, but if Firefox doesn't run on this particular website, I wouldn't have any qualms with running two browsers on the same PC. It is good to have a backup browser installed for when problems like this arise with a particular website.
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:What version of Firefox do you have on the machine. These browsers get updates so often that you almost can't keep up. And, if enough changes are made in an update, many sites no longer support the older versions. If you don't have the newest version, try updating to the newest one and maybe it will help.
From what I find, version 71.0 is the current version.
FWIW, I have automatic updates turned on in Firefox and the version I have here is 72.0.1.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

When signing into my account in one our local banks, the website had a specific notice saying that their system wasn't working with Safari. I suspect it's a temporary problem. I also suspect your credit union and my tiny bank use the same service provider for their on-line banking.

[edit] Oops! Your problem is Firefox, mine is Safari. Nevermind!
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

The latest versions of Firefox are taking privacy and blocking trackers on websites seriously. Sometimes, this may cause the website to not function properly. You can toggle these settings OFF at the top of the browser by clicking on the shield icon and then the toggle button. Here's a screen shot.
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 5.02.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 5.02.13 PM.png (99.36 KiB) Viewed 11824 times
This might not be your problem, but it doesn't hurt to try it out.

-Keith
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

jsburger wrote:
FWIW, I have automatic updates turned on in Firefox and the version I have here is 72.0.1.
I have Firefox automatic updates turned on, too. My Windows 10 laptop and Mac desktop also updated to 72.0.1 just yesterday.

--Keith
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rogersk wrote:The latest versions of Firefox are taking privacy and blocking trackers on websites seriously. Sometimes, this may cause the website to not function properly. You can toggle these settings OFF at the top of the browser by clicking on the shield icon and then the toggle button. Here's a screen shot.

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 5.02.13 PM.png

This might not be your problem, but it doesn't hurt to try it out.

-Keith
Also, if you have an Ad Blocker add on in Firefox that can cause the same problem if the web site changes something.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
mellowmarshmellow
Silver Member

Post by mellowmarshmellow »

You didn’t accidentally turn off javascript did you? It’s kind of hard to do this accidentally, but it could cause problems.