christmas bowl

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

christmas bowl

Post by wa2crk »

Made this for my wife's BFF who is down for a visit. It is about 8" in diameter.
bottom view.jpg
bottom view.jpg (95.53 KiB) Viewed 12992 times
side view.jpg
side view.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 12992 times
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: christmas bowl

Post by jsburger »

NICE!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Excellent. I have yet to try a segmented turning. Looks tedious making all the pieces fit together nicely.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Really Nice!

I especially like the overhead view, very impressive.

John
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Very nice! What do you use for cutting the angles? Do you have an Incra miter gauge or sled or did you build a custom sled?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Very nice.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
donalexander
Gold Member

Post by donalexander »

Well I have tried segmented turning and I'm doubly impressed. Well done.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

RFGuy
This was kind of an experiment. All of the cuts and all of the turning was done on my Shopsmith in order to prove a point. The point being that you can do accurate work and turn something and get a nice result. I am currently putting together a posting that will show the methods I used to cut the segments and making the chevron segments. But you will have to bear with me for a bit. I am due for hernia surgery but I hope to get the posting done before that. After surgery I will be restricted to lifting nothing more than ten pounds for four to six weeks.
Also thanks to the other mambers that responded and commented.
Bill V
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Real nice!!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

wa2crk wrote:RFGuy
This was kind of an experiment. All of the cuts and all of the turning was done on my Shopsmith in order to prove a point. The point being that you can do accurate work and turn something and get a nice result. I am currently putting together a posting that will show the methods I used to cut the segments and making the chevron segments. But you will have to bear with me for a bit. I am due for hernia surgery but I hope to get the posting done before that. After surgery I will be restricted to lifting nothing more than ten pounds for four to six weeks.
Also thanks to the other mambers that responded and commented.
Bill V
Thanks Bill. Sorry to hear about the surgery. Get well. Looking forward to your new post. I am not ready to start segmented turning, but would definitely like to try it at some point in the future. Would definitely like to see how you achieved your cuts and if it can be done without an Incra Miter express sled, etc.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor