Circular Saw recommendations

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Re: Circular Saw recommendations

Post by garys »

Personally, I wouldn't bother to try to fix the old Black and Decker. I bought a Black and Decker circular saw in the 70s. I used it to put an addition on my house. A few years later I built a garage with it, and some years after that, a new larger garage. As I was finishing up that second garage, I found that it would no longer start up if left out in the cold. The bearings were so loaded with 25 years of sawdust that they barely wanted to turn anymore. It originally cost under $30 so I tossed it. I figure that just over $1 a year for use, it paid for itself. I replaced it with a Skil brand this time because it was on sale for under $30 again. I figure if this one lasts 25 years, I won't bother to repair it either.
I recommend that you just toss the old one and go shopping for whatever new one makes you happy. They last a long time and work well so they pay for themselves.
ljhhontx
Gold Member

Post by ljhhontx »

My recommendation would be Makita. I switched from the really cheap ones years ago and I don't think I can go back. Once you use a Makita with a good Diablo blade and feel the difference in weight, balance and performance you'll wonder why you didn't sooner.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Xanddenza wrote:Greetings,

Combed through the threads, looking for some recent information on circular saws. A couple of questions:

1) I broke the switch on my Dad's Skil saw that still runs like a tank (my guess is that he bought it in the 70's) . I'd like to repair it for sentimental reasons. Any guidance on where to scour the interweb for parts?

I have a backup B&D saw so I'm not in a dire need

2) Recommendations for a replacement circular saw? Not looking for high end, I'm a weekend woodworker (mostly rough stuff) so I was looking at Dewalt and Rigid models, so you get the idea of price ranges (better than low end, not professional grade)

Thanks in advance!
I know some of these older Skil saws were very well built and given the sentimental reasons you could attempt a repair. I don't have any immediate recommendations for where to search. I would start by careful disassembly of the Skil saw. I'd recommend taking pictures as you go to keep track of it for reassembly later. Try to get the switch out and take zoomed in pictures of it to try to find any identifying marks on it. That is where I would start searching on the internet. It is possible that this switch was used on more brands than just Skil saw and if the number of units manufactured was high enough, you might be able to find a place that sells equivalent replacement parts for it. If you decide to go this path, post your pics here of the switch and any identifying marks on it...so that perhaps we can help you. Also, do you have the model number of the saw itself?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You are going to need the part number (model number) for the saw.

https://www.skilsaw.com/service-manuals

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/skil- ... UwQAvD_BwE
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Unless you are a contractor, a Makita saw will never pay for itself unless you are going to use it for another 150 years. If you don't live that long, someone will buy it at a garage sale for $15 after you are gone.
My current Skil brand saw does everything a Makita can to and it does it for a lot less money. This summer I built a concrete retaining wall. I used my Skil to cut the landscape blocks. I also use it to cut metal, wood, and anything else that I can find a proper blade for cutting. The quality of the cut depends on the blade, not the motor turning it, or the name on the saw.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I love my Skil 77! I made a track to fit it. Great track saw, now.
It's a heavy beast but, it's got the power to cut through 2" mesquite.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

any one of these three should last you the rest of your life if cared for , I bought a Makita many years ago , it has all ways been ready to go when I pulled it from it's case , that said Milwaukee , Makita or DeWalt woud be a top choice for me . my choice would be based on weight and functionality, how well you can see the cutting edge of the blade , the process of changing the bade , the comfort of the handle in your hand ,motor lock for changing the blade ,etc, I had the chance to use a newer DeWalt not long ago and found it very comfortable and easy to use , where the owner said it was not comfortable for him and felt awkward .next woud be do you wan a worm drive? I have never owned a cordless circular saw but it may also be worth looking into .Most all of these can be purchased for far less then 150.00 .on ebay all that said if the brand name doesn't matter and you don;t plan on using it every day ,don't pass the opportunity to look at masterforce they are well built for what they are . as far as parts for the old saw I bought obsolete parts for the Skill shop from a place online called searsparts.com , you need the model no. of the saw and then you have to search for the part . Just google obsolete skill saw parts .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
ljhhontx
Gold Member

Post by ljhhontx »

My recommedation of Makita was from my own purchase as a homeowner of a $80 something dollar saw. To me the feel of the saw is totally different than the Craftsman and Skil saws I had before it. The light weight is definitely big and just the balance is better. Say and do as you please but for me it has been great and I thought I would try to help.
HeathMajors
Bronze Member

Post by HeathMajors »

First off, while I cannot give you any guidance on how to repair the Skil, all I can say is that I understand why you want to do it. If you don't eventually figure out how, take it to a shop or something, you'll eventually encounter someone able to help you.
Secondly, while there are other good budget options to choose from, I'd recommend the PCE300, you can take a look at its stats here https://popular.reviews/best-corded-cir ... ble_PCE300. Last I know of, it was at around $50 or so, but much of an investment, which is perfect if you're just a hobbyist and not looking for anything at a top-tier level. Best of luck with the Skil though, hope you can restore it to keep it as a memento!
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

Gene Howe wrote:I love my Skil 77! I made a track to fit it. Great track saw, now.
It's a heavy beast but, it's got the power to cut through 2" mesquite.
I used to work at a place where we routinely cut 1/4" and 5/16" aluminium plate with 77s. They are a real bear, but they did hold up. One thing I really liked was the blade on the left.