Removing Rust on a SS Jointer Table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jcbenson
Bronze Member

Removing Rust on a SS Jointer Table

Post by jcbenson »

Hello, I purchased a used SS jointer on EBay with rusted infeed and outfeed tables. I have tried assorted rust removers bought at a hardware store but did not do so good. I used a small piece of emery cloth but it takes too much time. Any suggestions? I would like it to come back looking close to new without going to the machine shop. :confused:
jcbenson
Grass Valley, Ca.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Get some wet dry sand paper start with 60 or 80 grit and mount it on a 1/4 sheet sand or orbital block sander. Use WD40 or light oil as lube and start cleaning the rust off. Move up in grit when the rust is gone to put a shiny new finish on the table. Make sure you do sand a high or low spot into the table while doing this.

jcbenson wrote:Hello, I purchased a used SS jointer on EBay with rusted infeed and outfeed tables. I have tried assorted rust removers bought at a hardware store but did not do so good. I used a small piece of emery cloth but it takes too much time. Any suggestions? I would like it to come back looking close to new without going to the machine shop. :confused:
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

jcbenson wrote:Hello, I purchased a used SS jointer on EBay with rusted infeed and outfeed tables. I have tried assorted rust removers bought at a hardware store but did not do so good. I used a small piece of emery cloth but it takes too much time.........:
I was advised by those that had done it to take the finest grade wire wool to remove rust. Sometimes a small amount of kerosene also helps. After that, give the bed an application of Trewax or Johnson's Furniture Polish, much the same as you'd do for the way tubes etc.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro
burnsrk
Silver Member

Removing rust on the jointer

Post by burnsrk »

I had the same problem with a used one I purchased. I started with a very fine steel wool and WD-40. That took alot off but it was rather slow after knocking off the initial rust. I then bought naval jelly, applied it and let it sit a few minutes per the directions, then used fine steel wool. That worked well. I finished up with using WD-40 and steel wool to clean off all jelly residue, then wiped it dry and finished it with paste wax.

Kevin
jcbenson
Bronze Member

Rust Remidy

Post by jcbenson »

Thank You for the advise. A neighbor told me to use a sandpaper wheel on my drill. He said not to leave it in one place too long. I will try the advise that all of you have sent. ;)
jcbenson
Grass Valley, Ca.