Conical sanding disk usefulness

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gac5ss
Gold Member

Re: Conical sanding disk usefulness

Post by gac5ss »

I need an opinion on acceptable run out on my conical disk that Stew and I agreed to swap. As an after thought, I decided to check the run out using my dial gauge. Since I have not used the disk in any way since purchasing it used.

The run out on it is 19 thousandths at 180 degees. My flat disk run out is 10 thousandths. I checked my quill shaft run out and it is 1 thousandth.

Just to insure that I am not sending a defective disk to Stew, Is this run out within acceptable norms? We are planning to drop them in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jerry
Harrison, AR
Shopsmith Mk V 520
SPT's: jointer, band saw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Those numbers are meaningless without also including the distance out from the center.

I do not think those numbers are excessive for the intended purpose of the disks if at the periphery.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

JPG wrote:Those numbers are meaningless without also including the distance out from the center.

I do not think those numbers are excessive for the intended purpose of the disks if at the periphery.
The measurement was taken on the perimeter face of the disk. Thanks for your help.
Jerry
Harrison, AR
Shopsmith Mk V 520
SPT's: jointer, band saw
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I just used my conical disk to finish these blocks:
blocks.jpg
blocks.jpg (134.65 KiB) Viewed 16584 times
The one with the letters was done by hand and was a prototype but with that many to do it was easier to do some power sanding.

I cut them just a little over sized then sanded all 6 sides so they are all uniform and sanded. I think the fine paper for these is 150 grit, anyway I forgot to write the grit on the disk but it is the fine paper.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

The conical disk offers a level of precision that allows grinding metal surfaces. Not just jointer knives - but here's an example;
I bought some standard aluminum bar stock which I wanted to precision grind to fit in the miter slot.
I just set up the conical disk with sandpaper, then started slowly grinding the edge (and flipping it to do the other edge with each pass). With each pass, I lowered the table (using the precision adjusting ring SS sells) and in a short time I had a 3 ft length of precision ground metal that will slide along the miter slot perfectly.
The conical disk is really the only thing that gives you that level of precision, whether you need it for really find sanding of difficult wood, or grinding or edging metal.
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Thanks, guys. A file it is. Simple ways for a simple guy.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Has anyone tried cutting your owned conical disk sandpaper from a sheet for the flat disk? I don't imagine it would be difficult if you have an old piece to use as a template.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You need some fairly rugged backing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange