Updating my Festool CT26 with bluetooth

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Updating my Festool CT26 with bluetooth

Post by reible »

Festool has several new features that you can update your existing CT's with. I pre-ordered the bluetooth. You can read about it here:

https://www.festoolproducts.com/festool ... ctors.html

It arrived today and as expected it was easy to install. I know they claim that you should have the service center do it or a qualified electrician but hey you simple take a couple of screws out and then put the new part and put the screws back in..... Well yes you do want to unplug the vacuum but all that is covered in the instructions. It took me longer to dig out the 5mm hex wrench then it did to install the part.

Now you have a remote that you can attach to the end of the hose or put where ever you want and turn the CT on and off as you wish. I've not been using the CT with the shopsmith plugged in as the current was too close for me to trust but I know other have been doing it and report it works fine.... well now I can just push the button and not have to worry about the current requirements because the shopsmith is plugged in to another outlet.

I have the two hose adapter so this will work nice for having two things attached, one plugged in and the CT responding to that and another with the push button. Yes I know the work around for that too but I like the idea of having the push button control.

I may decide to buy another remote to mount some place close to or on the the shopsmith. The other one can then just be on the hose as intended.

While I haven't used it for real it was fun turning the CT on and off with the remote and well that is purpose of this. I see no negative issues for me as I have not invested in battery tools and have to deal with the prospect of having to get new ones with the built in bluetooth...... and I know some people who will want to do that.

Waiting for a project to use it on now. Since winter has returned (snow showers today) it might be few more days.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Updating my Festool CT26 with bluetooth

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:Festool has several new features that you can update your existing CT's with. I pre-ordered the bluetooth. You can read about it here:

https://www.festoolproducts.com/festool ... ctors.html

It arrived today and as expected it was easy to install. I know they claim that you should have the service center do it or a qualified electrician but hey you simple take a couple of screws out and then put the new part and put the screws back in..... Well yes you do want to unplug the vacuum but all that is covered in the instructions. It took me longer to dig out the 5mm hex wrench then it did to install the part.

Now you have a remote that you can attach to the end of the hose or put where ever you want and turn the CT on and off as you wish. I've not been using the CT with the shopsmith plugged in as the current was too close for me to trust but I know other have been doing it and report it works fine.... well now I can just push the button and not have to worry about the current requirements because the shopsmith is plugged in to another outlet.

I have the two hose adapter so this will work nice for having two things attached, one plugged in and the CT responding to that and another with the push button. Yes I know the work around for that too but I like the idea of having the push button control.

I may decide to buy another remote to mount some place close to or on the the shopsmith. The other one can then just be on the hose as intended.

While I haven't used it for real it was fun turning the CT on and off with the remote and well that is purpose of this. I see no negative issues for me as I have not invested in battery tools and have to deal with the prospect of having to get new ones with the built in bluetooth...... and I know some people who will want to do that.

Waiting for a project to use it on now. Since winter has returned (snow showers today) it might be few more days.

Ed
I know this is an old thread, but I would appreciate feedback from any Festool owners out there (yes, I know this is a Shopsmith forum). I have tried perusing the FOG forums, but the members there tend to be over-the-top endorsers of the Festool brand and ecosystem. The handful of Festool AND Shopsmith owners on this forum, I have found to be much more balanced in their tool critiques so I would appreciate your feedback instead.

So, I recently waded into the Festool pond and it was a significant expenditure for me since I picked up the DF500 and OF1400. Picking up a Festool dust extractor is just not possible for me at this time, but I am wondering for the future if I even need it. I already have a system that is working well for me that includes a stainless ShopVac (actual brand) with HEPA bag and HEPA cartridge filter using a ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone. With my current system, I don't have dust escaping from the vacuum...at least not to a level that I can measure with my Dylos particulate meter. With adapters, I can get a hose that mates with my Festool equipment, albeit not as cleanly as the Festool hose does. The pros and cons for a Festool dust extractor as I see it are:

Pros:
compact form factor
HEPA filtration
anti-static hose
tool detection turn on and Bluetooth
variable flow - useful for sanding operations
slightly lower noise level

Cons:
PRICE
expensive Bags and filters
no Cyclone and dust deputy add-on significantly cuts down on flow

Am I missing anything here? I mean are there any other things to consider, e.g. hands-on use/experience with the Festool dust extractor that wasn't immediately apparent before you bought it? If I didn't already have a good dust system, I am sure I would be very happy with the purchase of a CT26/36/48, but I already have one. I put my system together for less than $300 including cyclone and filters, but to get an equivalent system from Festool with the Oneida dust deputy is over $1k. I know the Festool has some nice to have features, but I can live with a static hose and already have an aftermarket control to turn the vac on and off. What makes the CT26 (or CT36 or CT48) so great (what do you like about yours)? Advice please.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

RFGuy,

I have used a CT22 with Super Dust Deputy mounted on top. have used it for 10 years or more. I am sure the suction is negatively impacted by the DD but frankly I never noticed the difference after installing my DD. The DD eliminates the expensive bags issue. The high price is unavoidable though ;-) I also have a Fein Turbo vac that is very good vac. Bags are reasonable and suction is as good as the CT. I think I picked up the Fein last year for $300 or so.

Jack
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

It's really quiet. It's intergrated into a complete system approach. Compact and portable. Nobody makes money selling nice stuff to old farts who make stuff in their converted garages and brag how thrifty they are (that's me!).

Imagine you're a working carpenter doing custom installs in 100-200 year old buildings on the 4th floor walk up. Tight, urban, parking five blocks away. And any noise you make can be a violation of the condo rules. And nobody likes a noisy, dusty, dirty contractor. And if it breaks you need replacements/spares right now because there's 10 guys waiting to take your biz away.

And that cabinet you're trimming to fit all the old walls is made with $160/sheet hardwood plywood. Not gonna do that with my 30 year old Craftsman circular saw and HF guide without destroying it....
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here is a link to a view that might change your mind about how much effect the addition of a dust deputy has on the system. Pretty minimal from my experience and from the results of the testing. So I guess I don't see that being on the con side of the equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXFcnJ_LUvk&t=5s

I have not yet needed to change the bag in my CT26, the Oneida Ultimate gets almost all of the dust and chips and makes dealing with the collection easy as well. With a plastic bag in the Oneida you simple pull off two clips and take the bag out and replace. You can also go with no bag but that is a messy option so the buck or so you save is in my opinion not worth it.

Last winter I had some static issues with my SO and while that is the only time I have ever experienced this sort of thing the use of the anti-static Oneida and CT26 fix the problem. I know Festool has claimed that the anti-static is importation for their tools but have never heard of issues coming from people who have chosen to go another way. Just something to keep in mind.

I'm glad I spent the money to get the one I have and adding the Oneida was a good idea for me. A lot of that depends on how you use the system, the Oneida might not be a good option if you have to carry the vac up flights of stairs or carry it for long distances but if you just roll it around the shop or out on to the driveway it works fine.

I still have some more Festools I want to add to my collection, but with the cost I have to space the purchases and plan to see what makes the most sense to get when. Still hope to get another sander this year but money is about run out so that might have to wait for a while longer.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I appreciate all of the feedback...you guys are amazing. Yeah, I could see how the Festool vacuum could be useful for pack in/pack out for a contractor. Having the ability to mount and lock systainers on top of it for transport is useful. Also, it is fairly compact and light as well. There's also a version for drywall dust which is difficult to handle for any vacuum. I think this (contractor use) is where it excels, but for the home hobbyist like myself I still don't know.

For a cyclone the newer Oneida Ultimate looks like a good design option (prior generation had problems with air leaks according to reviews), but even a well designed cyclone will typically impact the airflow by at least 25%. Though the video that Ed posted seems to indicate that the Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy is less restrictive than I would expect, so I am pleasantly surprised by this. Of course, for the hand tool functions that I would use a CT26 with, there is probably enough overhead (airflow margin) that the convenience would be worth it for a mininal sacrifice in airflow. I like the idea of the anti-static dust hose, but I don't think I need it yet. If I had any smart hand tools, like the Shaper Origin, then I would pursue it. I don't think the Festool Domino or Router have much in the way of electronics inside them, so I am not too worried about a discharge causing an ESD/EOS event. If I am wrong, then I will be taking advantage of the 3 year warranty and going with anti-static hose right after. Outside of the Festool ecosystem, if I had to buy a new vacuum I would definitely try the Fein out. I like the form factor and the ultra low noise (for a vacuum) it offers. It looks like one well built vacuum.

I came across this article that I found very useful comparing similar vacuums to the CT26. What I found interesting is how the CT26 had a relatively small reduction in airflow for a "dirty" bag condition. Most vacuums suffer when the bag gets full and/or the filter gets clogged (why I only run my ShopVac with the cyclone in front of it). The only vacuums that beat it were the Fein and the Makita. I heard mention in a video that the Festool design has a suction that keeps the bag contents sucked to the bottom, so the bag doesn't fill up prematurely and choke off the intake - to prolong bag changes. If this chart is to be believed then perhaps a cyclone isn't a must have accessory to the CT26 given this design feature. Of course, I would prefer to empty a cyclone dust bin and maximize airflow (versus time), but just pointing out that perhaps a cyclone isn't necessarily needed on the CT26 given this. The HEPA filter would still be suspect in my opinion, so a cyclone probably has a lot of value for the CT26 over long term use.

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-hea ... d-to-head/
CFM-Clean-and-Dirty-1.png
CFM-Clean-and-Dirty-1.png (117.43 KiB) Viewed 15956 times
Another video that I found interesting was this ShopVac versus Festool comparison by Jay Bates:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoFlxJjLlmM[/youtube]

Again, want to thank you for the great feedback here. I am still on the fence on this one. As I progress further into the Festool ecosystem, I may see more value in their vacuum solution. Still $1k is a lot of tool budget, so I would need compelling reasons to go that route. It will be a bit before I could save up to contemplate a purchase, so I welcome any feedback in the meantime.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

So, is the 27mm hose that comes with the Festool dust extractors sufficient for most use, or is it better to go with the 36mm hose? I know the larger one might be a little more unwieldy with the Domino or sanders, but of course it would have better airflow. If anything I might get a Festool hose by itself before breaking down and getting a CT26.
📶RF Guy

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:So, is the 27mm hose that comes with the Festool dust extractors sufficient for most use, or is it better to go with the 36mm hose? I know the larger one might be a little more unwieldy with the Domino or sanders, but of course it would have better airflow. If anything I might get a Festool hose by itself before breaking down and getting a CT26.
The Festool hose is touted as static free. The static has to be drained off somewhere. Would that be the CT26? So if you don't have the complete system, hose and dust collector, is the hose actually static free with another dust collector that is not static free?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote:The Festool hose is touted as static free. The static has to be drained off somewhere. Would that be the CT26? So if you don't have the complete system, hose and dust collector, is the hose actually static free with another dust collector that is not static free?
Agreed, but it is easy enough to hook up a ground to it (with a non-Festool vacuum). Of course, they also have static hoses they sell too.
📶RF Guy

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When I was having static issues was during the winter when the humidity is low and much easier for static to build up especially in the colder areas like northern IL. It didn't wreck anything but would cause an error and required me to reboot the SO. They sent me a new one and used mine to check out the situation back at there location. The SO did just want it should have given the situation. At the time I did not have the CT26 setup to work in the garage area I was in so I was using a stock shopvac..... when I went to the CT26 and the festool hoses the problem went away.

I have both hoses, the smaller one I have integrated with a plug-it cord, that is nice depending on what you are doing but I might spring for the new version smooth hose for times when I don't need the cord at the same time as the hose.

And yes the festool anti-static is a system, if you use their system then you have the protection, if you need it is a mater of debate. There was a lot of debate before the oneida was redesigned to be anti-static. Things like an added coupling or an adapter that is added in can cause the link to be broken, the easy way to prevent that is to use their parts.

Ed